Português (Portuguese)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I knew there was a place where I had spoken/written in Portuguese here before!
The speaking thread, in the Introductions section.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Março já existe, pá! É o mês. :)
É o mês e o dia! :crazy: Porque é a mesma divindade, o mesmo modo de formar a palavra, e porque não usei composto com 'dia', nos dias da semana... O que significa que todos os marços de março serão duplicados!

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I suck at it
eu sou uma merda nisso
(or, more formally) eu sou péssimo nisso (maybe in English "I'm bad at it", "I'm not good at it")

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm not ok with the word "senhor" in Portuguese, except if it is used as "senior", older, elder.

In religious speech, I think "soberano" is more apropriate, but in my own literature (which takes place in ancient Rome), I've been using a neologism bringing it back from Latin dominus, which is "dômino".

(There is "dono" and "dom", in Portuguese. Sometimes I use "dono" too, but only in the owner/slave relationship, because dono is the word we use in Portuguese for owner, for example, the owner of a dog, or a horse... And only in the narrative. In speech, characters use "dômino".)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gut feeling, in Portuguese is intuição. However, somehow, I feel like gut feeling says it better. It is possible to translate literally, "sentir nas entranhas", but it's not something we commonly use in the language, it sounds more poetic.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

On the translation of the Game of Thrones novels (Song of Ice and Fire). It'd be a different approach, but that text looses a lot in Portuguese, because English is a stronger language, I think. However, much of the strength of the text could be translated if Latin were used, like, for the mottos of houses. I'm not sure though what it would cause to the universe building, because how would you justify the existence of Latin in that universe? And, however, not so different from how you justify the existence of Christian and Jewish names in the same universe...

On the translation of Tolkien to Portuguese. It's just sad what they do in Brazil. The very best translation to Portuguese that I've seen was the European one, by Europamerica publisher, because it's precise and because it keeps simple, and don't make up supposed "intention of the author" in what concerns how he worked languages... As I said, it's just sad what they do with Tolkien in Brazil. The most recent translation uses "anãos" for the plural of dwarf. Yes, I know that dwarves isn't or wasn't the common word in English when Tolkien decided to use it, but the engeneering of "anãos" is precisely the opposite of what Tolkien did, because he took a word and imagined what would be regular if that word were used freequently, whereas "anãos" is irregular compared to the regular and existing word "anões", because the regular plural of "-ão" in the language is "-ões", not "-ãos"... There are three possible plural forms for "-ão": -ões", "-ães" and "-ãos". Recently, the word "guardiães" has been more commonly used in media, and they have been using "guardiões" instead of the traditional form "guardiães", because "-ões" is the most common plural form for "-ão". So, there's no excuse to use "anãos", except to make a statement that "look, the author used it differently in his language"... Well, congratulations, but it Portuguese it's awful in many ways!

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

Eu confesso que às vezes não gosto de não ter versões dos nomes tradicionais dos dias na minha língua, de modo que criei:

Sólio (ou Domingo)
Lunho
Março
Mercurieu
Jóvio
Venéreo
Satúrnio (ou Sábado)

Mas atenção: Isso é fictício. E só eu uso, nos meus rascunhos de escritos que nunca serão publicados. (Porque não constituem coisas inteiras.)
Por que naõ uſar formas reconſtruídas com baſe nos nomes do galaico-português, ou dos modernos, inda uſados no galego?

Lũ[e]s / Luns
Martes
Mércores
Joves
Vernes / Venres

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Por que naõ uſar formas reconſtruídas com baſe nos nomes do galaico-português, ou dos modernos, inda uſados no galego?

Lũ[e]s / Luns
Martes
Mércores
Joves
Vernes / Venres
Não gosto delas. Não soam português.

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

On the translation of Tolkien to Portuguese. It's just sad what they do in Brazil. The very best translation to Portuguese that I've seen was the European one, by Europamerica publisher, because it's precise and because it keeps simple, and don't make up supposed "intention of the author" in what concerns how he worked languages... As I said, it's just sad what they do with Tolkien in Brazil. The most recent translation uses "anãos" for the plural of dwarf. Yes, I know that dwarves isn't or wasn't the common word in English when Tolkien decided to use it, but the engeneering of "anãos" is precisely the opposite of what Tolkien did, because he took a word and imagined what would be regular if that word were used freequently, whereas "anãos" is irregular compared to the regular and existing word "anões", because the regular plural of "-ão" in the language is "-ões", not "-ãos"... There are three possible plural forms for "-ão": -ões", "-ães" and "-ãos". Recently, the word "guardiães" has been more commonly used in media, and they have been using "guardiões" instead of the traditional form "guardiães", because "-ões" is the most common plural form for "-ão". So, there's no excuse to use "anãos", except to make a statement that "look, the author used it differently in his language"... Well, congratulations, but it Portuguese it's awful in many ways!
[LAT]
Omnia, mea quidem ſententia, pendent ab analogia (et etymologia)...

Mihi magis placet "anaõs", nam ſequitur etymologiam (ſcilicet, acc. plur. nanos > *[a]na[n]õs > anaõs). Mihi magis placet etiam "guardiaẽs", quia originem ducit a linguæ Gothicæ vocabulo *wardjans (acc. plur.) > *[g]uardiã[n]es > guardiaẽs... tertia forma ("-ões"), veriſimiliter per analogiam orta, caret pulchritudine.

Quid ſi tamen diceremus hodie pluralem ſecundum formam "eruditam", quæ orta eſt Media quæ dicitur Ætate? Id est: guardianos (acc. plur.) > *guardiãos. Fœdum ſine dubio eſſet. Olim antiquiores Luſitanice loquentes uſi ſunt hac forma ("guardiaõs"), ſed jam pridem obſolevit.

[POR]
Tudo, em minha opiniaõ, depende de analogia (e etymologia)...

Apraz-me mais "anaõs", pois ſegue a etymologia (ſcil. acc. plur. nanos > *[a]na[n]õs > anaõs). Apraz-me mais tambem "guardiaẽs", porque tem origem no vocabulo da lingua Gothica *wardjans (acc. plur.) > *[g]uardiã[n]es > guardiaẽs... a terceira forma ("-ões"), veroſſimilmente ſurgida por analogia, carece de beleza.

E ſi diſſeſſemos hoje o plural ſegundo a forma "erudita", que ſurgiu na Idade Média? I.e., guardianos (acc. plur.) > *guardiãos. Seria feio, ſem dúvidas. Ha muito tempo, os fallantes mais antigos de Português uſaram eſſa forma ("guardiaõs"), mas ja ha muito obſoleſceu.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Não gosto por ser o contrário da proposta do Tolkien (de atualizar o plural de dwarf em inglês), e por "anãos" soar arcaico.

Sua defesa é boa, mas não me convence.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Is it so? :eek-2: I don't remember.
O que aconteceu em 10 de junho?

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh.. Ok.
Ah.. Certo.

Jiacheng Liu

Eu confesso que às vezes não gosto de não ter versões dos nomes tradicionais dos dias na minha língua, de modo que criei:

Sólio (ou Domingo)
Lunho
Março
Mercurieu
Jóvio
Venéreo
Satúrnio (ou Sábado)

Mas atenção: Isso é fictício. E só eu uso, nos meus rascunhos de escritos que nunca serão publicados. (Porque não constituem coisas inteiras.)
Suponho que você gosta o latinismo no português? O que acha voce sobre a reforma de ortografia da língua Portuguesa (especialmente a eliminação de -y-, -th-, -ph-, pelas palavras da origem Grega)?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Conhece esta frase famosa de Fernando Pessoa, «Minha pátria é a língua portuguesa»? Tirado daquele mesmo ensaio: «... odeio... a ortografia sem ípsilon, como o escarro directo que me enoja independentemente de quem o cuspisse.» :) Esta continuação já é menos conhicida, acho eu, se bem que hoje em dia também seja relevante. Normalmente, ninguém se preocupa mais com a ortografia de então, já que se trata de um assunto de há cem anos. Para os portugueses de hoje é o Acordo Ortográfico de 1990 que tem a relevância. Muita gente não gosta dele.

Last edited:

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Não sendo português, tenho uma calma atitude à ortografia portuguesa. Gosto dela bastante. Mas devo confesar que as grafias «ciência» ou, por exemplo, «cena» parecem algo esquisitas. :)

Last edited:

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Minha relação com a grafia do português é assim:
- Não posso dizer que seja ruim, eu acho. Tem lógica. É razoavelmente simples, prática.
- Em parte acho que faz falta ser mais próxima do latim, mas português não é latim, então, por quê deveria?
(O que se deveria era aprender latim na escola, o que não existe mais. Muito menos no Brasil. Nem haverá.)
- É engraçado pensar o que seria, se fosse diferente, porque é o mesmo que história especulativa: não é. Então não dá para saber o que seria. Então não faz diferença hipotetizar. (Pelo menos não para mim.)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Does anyone know what's the saying in English related to "um é pouco, dois é bom, três é demais"? Also, was there such a saying in Latin (middle ages, ancient Rome)?