Pronunciation: hi ludi F. Bacon nati tuiti orbi

A

Anonymous

Hello! I'm from Singapore!

I'm taking a Speech Communication module in English but we are given an assignment where we've to read out a passage. Part of the passage has this "hi ludi F. Bacon nati tuiti orbi" which is about Francis Bacon and honorificabilitudinitatibus... (wonder if i spelt it right)

Anyway, yes, I need help in pronouncing the latin "hi ludi F. Bacon nati tuiti orbi" because I've never taken any foreign language course besides Mandarin. I'm not sure if there is a 'Latin' style to pronounce the words hence I really need you people to help me!!!

Can anyone please help me in this? :) Thank you very much!

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Re: How do you pronounce this...?

I think it's Hi Ludi, F. Baconis nati, tuiti orbi (27 letters) These plays, born of F. Bacon, are watched by the world

Hee LOO-dee, Eff bah-CO-nis NA-ti, TOO-ee-tee OR-bee

The other anagrams are

Abi. Inivit F. Bacon. Histrio Ludit. = Begone. F. Bacon has entered. The actor is playing.
Initio hi ludi Fr. Bacono. These plays (are) in the Fr. Bacon inception.
Hi ludi, tuiti sibi, Fr. Baconi nati. These plays, born of Fr. Bacon, are watched for themselves

tuiti can be translated as "watched, preserved, guarded," and several other ways.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Excuse me for the impertinence, but ubinam terrarum did you find a word like 'honorificabilitudinitatibus'? I assume it's a dative/ablative plural of 'honorificabilitudo'. Does it even exist in any dictionary? Who coined this? Bacon himself? Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

It comes from Shakespeare's "Love's Labour's Lost."
===================================================================
O, they have lived long on the alms-basket of words.
I marvel thy master hath not eaten thee for a word;
for thou art not so long by the head as
honorificabilitudinitatibus: thou art easier
swallowed than a flap-dragon.
===================================================================

Anti-Stratfordians seized upon this word as proof that Shakespeare didn't write them and Francis Bacon did.

A

Anonymous

Salve Amici --

Wow, so this is why I studied Latin XLV years ago!

This too from hazy ancient memory ... but one fable has it that when Orson Welles was a student at the University of Illinois, his professor proved that Bacon was the author of Shakespeare's plays by decrypting

HONORIFICABILITUDINITATIBUS to

HI LUDI F BACONIS NATI TUITI ORBI

Welles did his own cryptoanalysis, and came up with

IDIOTIC RUBBISH IN LATIN AT U OF I

This was cool! In the course of Googling, I discovered that honorificabilitudinitatibus is a
ἅπαξ λεγόμενον . (It's all Greek to me.)

Oh Latin is a dead tongue
dead as it can be
first it killed the Romans
and now it's killing me

(marginalia in Latin textbooks first noted c. 1750)