Pronunciation issue: s as z, ch as h?

Ioannes

I have started learning Latin couple of years ago in high school. Back then I learned to pronounce the words the traditional way (I'm not native English so maybe there's an expression that I don't know - I want to say traditional as opposed to classical pron.), that is: "ae" and "oe" pronounced as Latin "e", "s" as "z" between vowels, "ch" as "h" and so on.

The thing is that I thought I have completely mastered this until I have come to the "facultas" (similar to what you call university, I have put the Latin word). Now we have started from the beginning again, with pronunciation. Is there any exception to the rule when to read "s" as "z", that is when it is not between vowels? I hear my professor read "mensa" as "menza" and similar. And what about "ch"? Why is it "chartaceus" "kartaceus" and "pulcher" "pulher".

And I really thought I've learned it right. :puzzle:

Thanks to you all.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That is a peculiar set of pronunciations; they are neither classical nor ecclesiastical. I honestly can't help you with that.

cepasaccus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ioannes, this sounds strange to me. Regarding s/z I can't say, because I do not know how z is pronounced in Croatia, but the ae+oe -> e and ch -> h seems wrong to me even not knowing Croatian.

When looking at the phonetic characters in my English dictionsary, the "ae" must be something like [ai], "oe" something like [ci] where the "c" is reversed and "ch" is not available in there. It is like "k" where afterwards it is breathed out.

LDV

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Z is pronounced in croatian as s in german sein
and h as in haben or have or habere

To ioannes: this traditional pronunciation is specific to this part of europe they have different traditional pronunciation in england and elsewhere.

About this s read as z:
i think that e.g: plasma is read as plazma,i don't know the rule, i have to check my books.
and about this h/k:
I learned both classical and traditional pronunciation,and we learned to read ch as h,but i've seen in some other books(not in croatian books) that it is pronunced as k, it is aspirated(or however it is said) k,something between k and h

About traditional pronunciation:
ae=e (as in egeo)
oe=e
c before e(ae,oe,eu) and i,y sounds=c (as in german Zeit,or as in bits),elsewhere k (as in kalendae)
s between vovels=z ( as in zebra)
ti before vovel =ci (c as in german Zeit,or as in bits + i as in imus)

s,t,x + ti +vovel =s,t,x + ti +vovel
ti with accent on i=ti (e.g. totius);

LDV

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In traditional pronunciation:

*ns before a vovel=nz (mensa=menza)
*sm=zm (plasma=plazma)
*ls=lz(excelsus=excelzus)

isitolian

The official pronunciation changes frequently. In most places, you can be understood using the Germanic pronunciation. In Wirginia, for example, V is pronounced W. In Maryland, though, many classes still use V.

Ioannes

LDV dixit:
In traditional pronunciation:

*ns before a vovel=nz (mensa=menza)
*sm=zm (plasma=plazma)
*ls=lz(excelsus=excelzus)
This is what I wanted to know! (BTW, could you quote the source?)

Zahvaljujem. :applause:

LDV

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ioannes dixit:
(BTW, could you quote the source?)
Jadranka Bagarić:Linguae Latinae elementa (udžbenik za 1.i 2. godinu učenja)