Qυery about Bacchae line 18 - does μιγας take the dative?

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I found an example of it's usage in Euripides' Bacchae, line 18:
λιπὼν δὲ Λυδῶν τοὺς πολυχρύσους γύας‎
Φρυγῶν τε‎, Περσῶν θʼ ἡλιοβλήτους πλάκας‎
βακτριά τε τείχη τήν τε δύσχιμον χθόνα‎
Μήδων ἐπελθὼν Ἀραβίαν τʼ εὐδαίμονα‎
Ἀσίαν τε πᾶσαν‎, ἣ παρʼ ἁλμυρὰν ἅλα‎
κεῖται μιγάσιν Ἕλλησι βαρβάροις θʼ ὁμοῦ‎
πλήρεις ἔχουσα καλλιπυργώτους πόλεις‎,

So πληρεις takes the dative here i.e. μιγασιν but I don't really get why Ἕλλησι and βαρβάροις are dative, since I haven't found anything on μιγας taking the dative; the only thing I can think is that it literally means 'filled with a mixture of (lit 'with') Greeks and Barbarians'
Thanks in advance

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Where are you looking? It's in LSJ. You can look it up there, or click on the word in the Perseus edition online, and be taken there. It gives an example of the adjective taking the dative. But that's not the case here, where it's in the dative because it's in agreement with Ἕλλησι and βαρβάροις.

μι^γάς , άδος, and ,
A.mixed pell-mell, “μιγάσιν Ἕλλησιν βαρβάροις θ᾽ ὁμοῦE.Ba.18, cf. 1356; “ἐκ πολλῶν ἐθνῶν μιγάδες συλλεγέντεςIsoc.4.24, etc.; “πολλοὶ δ᾽ ἔπιπτον μιγάδεςE.Andr.1142: c. dat., “Θρήϊξιν μιγάδες ΣκύθαιA.R.4.320: as fem., “μ. λοιβαίId.3.1210.

Edit: C&Ping Greek apparently does odd things with the font size, at least for me, and there doesn't seem to be a way round it.

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Where are you looking? It's in LSJ. You can look it up there, or click on the word in the Perseus edition online, and be taken there. It gives an example of the adjective taking the dative. But that's not the case here, where it's in the dative because it's in agreement with Ἕλλησι and βαρβάροις.

μι^γάς , άδος, and ,
A.mixed pell-mell, “μιγάσιν Ἕλλησιν βαρβάροις θ᾽ ὁμοῦE.Ba.18, cf. 1356; “ἐκ πολλῶν ἐθνῶν μιγάδες συλλεγέντεςIsoc.4.24, etc.; “πολλοὶ δ᾽ ἔπιπτον μιγάδεςE.Andr.1142: c. dat., “Θρήϊξιν μιγάδες ΣκύθαιA.R.4.320: as fem., “μ. λοιβαίId.3.1210.

Edit: C&Ping Greek apparently does odd things with the font size, at least for me, and there doesn't seem to be a way round it.
Thanks! Yeah I did look there, I was confused about whether it was an adjective or a noun (I don't think it mentions it in the LSJ? But thanks for clarifying it's an adjective :) )