Questions about Sanskrit claims...

saepe

Hello,

Reading about classical languages and all they entail I came accross Sanskrit.

To be honest since learning these types of languages require certain amount of time there's got to be some priority before investing on them.

I was convinced about Latin and Greek. In fact any ancient language must have something valuable to offer that makes worth studying or spending time. There's chinese with crazy amount of pictograms to remember, arabic with its insane verb system, etc.

Latin and Greek does have a special appeal. Another aspect about learning these languages it's the type of syntax how they express things with declensions and so on. Coming from a language without declensions I find curious this fact.

I did read other languages with declensions, the craziest of them taking the crown being finish.

But again Latin and Greek have something special, perhaps with their literari corpus, besides having a long time in use and cultural legacy in general. I think these are all valid points. Arabic seems to have a massive legacy as well but there's no simphony associated with it. Again it's about settling for one, if I had many lives or where super intelligent I'd gladly learn several, russian seems quite intriguing. Sadly I only have one life.

While doing some research I came across this language called Sanskrit. Well, it quickly descended into what it seems a contest for the superior languge title.

It sorta became discouraged by a few claims circulating online:

http://stephenknapp.info/sanskrit_its_importance_to_language.htm

"A. L. Basham, former professor of Asian Civilization in the Australian national University, Canberra, writes in his book The Wonder That Was India (page 390): “One of ancient India’s greatest achievements is her remarkable alphabet, commencing with the vowels and followed by the consonants, all classified very scientifically according to their mode of production, in sharp contrast to the haphazard and inadequate Roman alphabet, which has developed organically for three millennia. It was only on the discovery of Sanskrit by the West that a science of phonetics arose in Europe."

"This is one of the reasons, however, why some people have felt that Sanskrit was one of several ancient languages that descended from another common ancestor. One of those people was the English poet, Jurist and scholar, Sir William Jones, who, in 1783, was appointed a justice of the High Court of Bengal. He began to study Sanskrit and wrote and published his high impression of Sanskrit: “The Sanskrit language, whatever may be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek; more copious than the Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either, yet bearing to both of them a stronger affinity, both in the roots of verbs and in the forms of grammar; than could possibly have been produced by accident; so strong, indeed, that no philosopher could examine them all three without believing them to have sprung from some common source which, perhaps, no longer exists; there is a similar reason, though not quite so forcible, for supposing that both the Gothic and the Celtic, though blended with a different idiom, had the same origin with the Sanskrit."
Some others claims retrieve from various blogs, comments:

"Plus, Godfrey Higgins, in his book The Celtic Druids (page 61), writes: “There are many objections to the derivation of the Latin from the Greek. Latin exhibits many terms in a more rude form than Greek. Latin was derived from Sanskrit.”

"Sri Aurobindo observed that Sanskrit is “one of the most magnificent, the most perfect and wonderfully sufficient literary instruments developed by human mind... at once majestic and sweet and flexible, strong and clearly formed and full and vibrant and subtle..."

"VEDA, PURANA, UPANISHEDS etc are not like that all explained. If you go scientifically into it, IN it you can see 100% Science and HISTORY etc. In it you can see structure of Atom or Crystal or Universe. In it you can see Newtons Law, electronic configuration, How to make and sent Rockets to space, How to settle at outer planets etc. Modern Science contains only 20% of the science that is in VEDAS. Read Kaliyugapurana ( only such a book in the Universe) WHICH EXPLAINS vedas FULLY ON THE BASIS OF MODERN SCIENCE."
As it can be seen Sanskrit is supposedly superior in all ways, bloggers also goad people that to loarn Sanskrit you have to believe it, like believing in God, and that you will reach automagically another level of consciousness, etc, ...

With all respects and avoiding bashing Sanskrit might have its merits, however it's hard to reconcile a few things.

I set out to find out the magic about it and watch the first minutes of some vedas in youtube. At first it does sound weird, something like this:

'yadadaydayad prataparaparat yadad mbratprata trata trabprata...'

And the high pitch chant is accompanied by a odd instrument equally high pitched in trance mode.

Then I tried to listen to some indian classical song, but results for this yields mostly more chants.

Who are the Bachs, Mozarts, Vivaldis of India? I would love to know and get to know their music.

There is one big oddity, if Sanskrit was so supperior why in 30.000 years never created a full orchestra? Or is the western orchestra an inferior art?

I am not disgressing here. The reason I bring up music is because the fact that one of the Sanskrit claims is its vowels and consonants represent human's FULL range of human sound. The frequencies of God or something like that. Would it be natural that an advance instruments would have been created long ago??

The fact is that Hindu/Tamil/etc music has failed to catch my interest, unlike Russian music with it's very melodic tunes for instance. Without speaking Russian their music was able to enthrall me something Indian has failed.

Another fact is that pretty much all Asians, except for Japanese, music is high pitch accompanied with what it seems to be a primitive form of violin, a bowl with strings.

Again this comes down to language so my question why would be Sanskrit be superior if it has failed to produced a piano in its thousand years of existence (some claim millions years, even pre-cambrian).

This question could be shallow but whatever is created it comes from it's people, their language and their legacy.

A more concrete issue that I want to ask is in the above quotes:

“The Sanskrit language, whatever may be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek; more copious than the Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either
"Sri Aurobindo observed that Sanskrit is “one of the most magnificent, the most perfect and wonderfully sufficient literary instruments developed by human mind... at once majestic and sweet and flexible, strong and clearly formed and full and vibrant and subtle..."
I haven't been able to find a clear cut explanation about these two claims, it exists a book something like 'Analitical Comparison ...' but it costs over 100$.

Looking at Sanskrit grammar it ovbiously insane, it's verb system it's gigantic with crazy amount of moods and what not. I am ok with this.

But again how exactly is Sanskrit more perfect than Greek and Latin? If anyone here is familiar the linguistics of these three examples and can give a concrete explanation I would appreciate it.

To be honest Sanskrit phonetially falls short of greek and latin. Again I am not bashing but looking at the words of the three Sanskrit looks like 'adradpdadrayadra upradutatadrap yadrar'. While both Greek and Latin have a more balanced mixture of sounds.

Then there's the script while Chinese, arabic and japanese are visually pleasent and Sanskrit looks like a down syndrome alphabet, a mix between a hieroglyphic and a character.

There are two a:
अ and आ, as opposed to simply add an accent to differenciate like some European languages.

इ and ई short and long i
उ and ऊ short and long u

Where's the scientific basis of this language here between short and long? If it was scientific wouldn't it been more LOGICAL to apply a single rule to denote short and long?

Also weird vowels that seem to brake the laws of physics (language in this case). Consonant-vowels:
ऋ and ॠ notice how hard is to visually differenciate them, so much for perfection here. They had zillions of years to fix it though.

ओ and औ <-- how to write the O. More like a lolwut? So I have to get convinced that ओ is more perfect than our O?? That by reading ओ I will reach a higher level of conciousness??

I kid not but one time I read that, in the absence of pen and paper, vedas were written by the yogis with banana peels thrown on dirt. That would explain the odd banana like shapes of Sanskrit letters.

One of the claims that Sanskrit is superior is because its sheer numbers of everything, 64 letters in the alphabet!!

Well I wont get in the consonants. A language with such a full range of everything suprisingly manages to sound high pitched all the time.

'nyanyanyanynaynaynanynaynay'

So let's repeat this quote:

“one of the most magnificent, the most perfect and wonderfully sufficient literary instruments developed by human mind... at once majestic and sweet and flexible, strong and clearly formed and full and vibrant and subtle..."
Yes all that without an orchestra.

Now let's get into its corpus. Sanskrit appears to consist of Vedas and the main book is Mahabaratta. Are there not authors like Plato, real historians like Thucidides (not historians about the gods), or different styles of writing other than poems?

Let's say I do decide to take up Sanskrit, what will I read? What I see on internet is the kazillions of gods, one blue skinned, etc. This is fine, greek and latin too have mythical characters but they offer OTHER stuff to pick from. This is from the literay standpoint.

From what I see on youtube vids is that learning Sanskrit it will get to a point where I will stop listening to classical music, give up all art, culture, etc. Put a cloth on my private parts, mark my forehead with paint sit down in front of a fire with some other chaps, and start chanting in high pitch with the tune of a primitive violin also high pitched.

'dardrapratatra hamadramatrap viyatramadptatatahprrarta'

I am sure it dose have its merits, yet...

IS SANSKRIT worth over Greek and Latin? This is my question.

This is another comical claim that crops up on the webs, that the vedas have embedded ALL science known to manking and yonder down to quantum physics. Sanskrit it's supposed to be supperior due to this fact? As opposed to western authors that wrote scientific treatises, even arabs where into writing scientific treatises.

Either I am stupid or spiritually lesser but from a practical standpoint a concise treatise seems more practical than writing it in fictional poetry.

Lets take an architect and wants to build a house. Imagine the difference of having to learn the shapes with Euclidean geometry book as opposed to a square shape being described in form of a war between blue skinned gods.

I am not trying to bash anything here, but the Vedas can have all the science in them, but truth is that neither China nor India could have space and nuclear technology without active Russian transfer.

And again, musically never where able to create a piano and their flutes never reached western levels of sophistication.

What people think?

On another note, during my research it quickly got out of hand and found out about other fringe pseudo-languages, experimental ones, etc.

This one, fifth-columnist Esperanto language is also scientifically proven:

"Various educators have estimated that Esperanto can be learned in anywhere from one quarter to one twentieth the amount of time required for other languages.[45] Claude Piron, a psychologist formerly at the University of Geneva and Chinese–English–Russian–Spanish translator for the United Nations, argued that Esperanto is far more intuitive than many ethnic languages. "Esperanto relies entirely on innate reflexes [and] differs from all other languages in that you can always trust your natural tendency to generalize patterns. [...] The same neuropsychological law [—called by] Jean Piaget generalizing assimilation—applies to word formation as well as to grammar."[46]

"The Institute of Cybernetic Pedagogy at Paderborn (Germany) has compared the length of study time it takes natively French-speaking high-school students to obtain comparable 'standard' levels in Esperanto, English, German, and Italian.[47] The results were:
2000 hours studying German = 1500 hours studying English = 1000 hours studying Italian (or any other Romance language) = 150 hours studying Esperanto."
Oh man!! Backed up by psychologists and following neuropsychological laws!!

The common trend here is that everything is being pitched against Greek and Latin as the ultimate confirmation that their are superior.

Sorry for the long post but this matter was nagging me.

thank you.

Nooj

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

it's 'my language/culture/race/nation is better' nonsense. that's all it is.

that's coming from someone who knows sanskrit, greek and latin.

you seem to be quite ignorant of what you speak. let me take for example what you say here:

Now let's get into its corpus. Sanskrit appears to consist of Vedas and the main book is Mahabaratta. Are there not authors like Plato, real historians like Thucidides (not historians about the gods), or different styles of writing other than poems?

Let's say I do decide to take up Sanskrit, what will I read? What I see on internet is the kazillions of gods, one blue skinned, etc. This is fine, greek and latin too have mythical characters but they offer OTHER stuff to pick from. This is from the literay standpoint.
sanskrit was the literary language for a large proportion of humanity for a large proportion of modern human history, from a geographical stretch that stretched from central asia to south east asia. consequently, the literary corpus of sanskrit is enormous and extremely diverse, from medical treatises to erotic love poetry, from political documents to tantric ritual texts, from epic poetry to high drama, from theories of aesthetics to philosophical texts delving into ontology and epistemology, from mathematics to agricultural how to dos.

i don't think it's wrong to say that there has been more written in sanskrit and preserved to our times than has ever been written in latin and greek. combined. there are millions of manuscripts still to be found moldering in libraries in kathmandu to elsewhere, scarcely touched and never translated.

to say that sanskrit appears to consist of the vedas and the main book is the mahabharata is appallingly ignorant of the actual facts.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I read that as Buddhism spread to East Asia, Sanskrit was brought with the travelling monks, which is why even some samurai helmets had Sanskrit writing on them.

Martín César Rolando

Hola!

I am student of Sanskrit for several years. Your opinions are balanced and your questions are legitimate . But I find them a bit pointless if you not consider first the fact that Latin is for Europe as Sanskrit is for India. Thus the odious comparisons fade and you can begin to see what in other languages enriches yours during translation. Those who study other languages, try to find otherness in mother tongue.

MCR

Hello,

Reading about classical languages and all they entail I came accross Sanskrit.

To be honest since learning these types of languages require certain amount of time there's got to be some priority before investing on them.

I was convinced about Latin and Greek. In fact any ancient language must have something valuable to offer that makes worth studying or spending time. There's chinese with crazy amount of pictograms to remember, arabic with its insane verb system, etc.

Latin and Greek does have a special appeal. Another aspect about learning these languages it's the type of syntax how they express things with declensions and so on. Coming from a language without declensions I find curious this fact.

I did read other languages with declensions, the craziest of them taking the crown being finish.

But again Latin and Greek have something special, perhaps with their literari corpus, besides having a long time in use and cultural legacy in general. I think these are all valid points. Arabic seems to have a massive legacy as well but there's no simphony associated with it. Again it's about settling for one, if I had many lives or where super intelligent I'd gladly learn several, russian seems quite intriguing. Sadly I only have one life.

While doing some research I came across this language called Sanskrit. Well, it quickly descended into what it seems a contest for the superior languge title.

It sorta became discouraged by a few claims circulating online:

http://stephenknapp.info/sanskrit_its_importance_to_language.htm

Some others claims retrieve from various blogs, comments:

As it can be seen Sanskrit is supposedly superior in all ways, bloggers also goad people that to loarn Sanskrit you have to believe it, like believing in God, and that you will reach automagically another level of consciousness, etc, ...

With all respects and avoiding bashing Sanskrit might have its merits, however it's hard to reconcile a few things.

I set out to find out the magic about it and watch the first minutes of some vedas in youtube. At first it does sound weird, something like this:

'yadadaydayad prataparaparat yadad mbratprata trata trabprata...'

And the high pitch chant is accompanied by a odd instrument equally high pitched in trance mode.

Then I tried to listen to some indian classical song, but results for this yields mostly more chants.

Who are the Bachs, Mozarts, Vivaldis of India? I would love to know and get to know their music.

There is one big oddity, if Sanskrit was so supperior why in 30.000 years never created a full orchestra? Or is the western orchestra an inferior art?

I am not disgressing here. The reason I bring up music is because the fact that one of the Sanskrit claims is its vowels and consonants represent human's FULL range of human sound. The frequencies of God or something like that. Would it be natural that an advance instruments would have been created long ago??

The fact is that Hindu/Tamil/etc music has failed to catch my interest, unlike Russian music with it's very melodic tunes for instance. Without speaking Russian their music was able to enthrall me something Indian has failed.

Another fact is that pretty much all Asians, except for Japanese, music is high pitch accompanied with what it seems to be a primitive form of violin, a bowl with strings.

Again this comes down to language so my question why would be Sanskrit be superior if it has failed to produced a piano in its thousand years of existence (some claim millions years, even pre-cambrian).

This question could be shallow but whatever is created it comes from it's people, their language and their legacy.

A more concrete issue that I want to ask is in the above quotes:

I haven't been able to find a clear cut explanation about these two claims, it exists a book something like 'Analitical Comparison ...' but it costs over 100$.

Looking at Sanskrit grammar it ovbiously insane, it's verb system it's gigantic with crazy amount of moods and what not. I am ok with this.

But again how exactly is Sanskrit more perfect than Greek and Latin? If anyone here is familiar the linguistics of these three examples and can give a concrete explanation I would appreciate it.

To be honest Sanskrit phonetially falls short of greek and latin. Again I am not bashing but looking at the words of the three Sanskrit looks like 'adradpdadrayadra upradutatadrap yadrar'. While both Greek and Latin have a more balanced mixture of sounds.

Then there's the script while Chinese, arabic and japanese are visually pleasent and Sanskrit looks like a down syndrome alphabet, a mix between a hieroglyphic and a character.

There are two a:
अ and आ, as opposed to simply add an accent to differenciate like some European languages.

इ and ई short and long i
उ and ऊ short and long u

Where's the scientific basis of this language here between short and long? If it was scientific wouldn't it been more LOGICAL to apply a single rule to denote short and long?

Also weird vowels that seem to brake the laws of physics (language in this case). Consonant-vowels:
ऋ and ॠ notice how hard is to visually differenciate them, so much for perfection here. They had zillions of years to fix it though.

ओ and औ <-- how to write the O. More like a lolwut? So I have to get convinced that ओ is more perfect than our O?? That by reading ओ I will reach a higher level of conciousness??

I kid not but one time I read that, in the absence of pen and paper, vedas were written by the yogis with banana peels thrown on dirt. That would explain the odd banana like shapes of Sanskrit letters.

One of the claims that Sanskrit is superior is because its sheer numbers of everything, 64 letters in the alphabet!!

Well I wont get in the consonants. A language with such a full range of everything suprisingly manages to sound high pitched all the time.

'nyanyanyanynaynaynanynaynay'

So let's repeat this quote:

Yes all that without an orchestra.

From what I see on youtube vids is that learning Sanskrit it will get to a point where I will stop listening to classical music, give up all art, culture, etc. Put a cloth on my private parts, mark my forehead with paint sit down in front of a fire with some other chaps, and start chanting in high pitch with the tune of a primitive violin also high pitched.

'dardrapratatra hamadramatrap viyatramadptatatahprrarta'

I am sure it dose have its merits, yet...

IS SANSKRIT worth over Greek and Latin? This is my question.

This is another comical claim that crops up on the webs, that the vedas have embedded ALL science known to manking and yonder down to quantum physics. Sanskrit it's supposed to be supperior due to this fact? As opposed to western authors that wrote scientific treatises, even arabs where into writing scientific treatises.

Either I am stupid or spiritually lesser but from a practical standpoint a concise treatise seems more practical than writing it in fictional poetry.

Lets take an architect and wants to build a house. Imagine the difference of having to learn the shapes with Euclidean geometry book as opposed to a square shape being described in form of a war between blue skinned gods.

I am not trying to bash anything here, but the Vedas can have all the science in them, but truth is that neither China nor India could have space and nuclear technology without active Russian transfer.

And again, musically never where able to create a piano and their flutes never reached western levels of sophistication.

What people think?

On another note, during my research it quickly got out of hand and found out about other fringe pseudo-languages, experimental ones, etc.

This one, fifth-columnist Esperanto language is also scientifically proven:

Oh man!! Backed up by psychologists and following neuropsychological laws!!

The common trend here is that everything is being pitched against Greek and Latin as the ultimate confirmation that their are superior.

Sorry for the long post but this matter was nagging me.

thank you.

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A puerile response to a puerile argument.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Filius Scriptoris

it's 'my language/culture/race/nation is better' nonsense. that's all it is.

that's coming from someone who knows sanskrit, greek and latin.

you seem to be quite ignorant of what you speak. let me take for example what you say here:

sanskrit was the literary language for a large proportion of humanity for a large proportion of modern human history, from a geographical stretch that stretched from central asia to south east asia. consequently, the literary corpus of sanskrit is enormous and extremely diverse, from medical treatises to erotic love poetry, from political documents to tantric ritual texts, from epic poetry to high drama, from theories of aesthetics to philosophical texts delving into ontology and epistemology, from mathematics to agricultural how to dos.

i don't think it's wrong to say that there has been more written in sanskrit and preserved to our times than has ever been written in latin and greek. combined. there are millions of manuscripts still to be found moldering in libraries in kathmandu to elsewhere, scarcely touched and never translated.

to say that sanskrit appears to consist of the vedas and the main book is the mahabharata is appallingly ignorant of the actual facts.
Ah what treasures those pieces of literature you mentioned must be! Now I want to learn Sanskrit all the more!

Nooj

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

if you're a literature lover, you'll find something to hold your interest, i'm sure of it. i love stepping into an old library, and the world of sanskrit is old indeed :)

अपारे काव्य-संसारे कविरेव प्रजापति

in the boundless world of poetry
the poet is God the creator

i personally love the bhaktas, devotional poets and theologians. ..

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

if you're a literature lover, you'll find something to hold your interest, i'm sure of it. i love stepping into an old library, and the world of sanskrit is old indeed :)

अपारे काव्य-संसारे कविरेव प्रजापति

in the boundless world of poetry
the poet is God the creator

i personally love the bhaktas, devotional poets and theologians. ..
Just to brush up my rusty noobish sanskrit a little.

apAre (infinite-sing-loc)
kAvya- (poetry)
saMsAre (world-sing-loc)
kavIr- (poet-sing-nom)
eva (only)
prajApati (Prajapati; the creator-sing-voc)

(Perhaps it is prajApatiH instead? And sorry for not typing in devanagari.)

Nooj

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just to brush up my rusty noobish sanskrit a little.

apAre (infinite-sing-loc)
kAvya- (poetry)
saMsAre (world-sing-loc)
kavIr- (poet-sing-nom)
eva (only)
prajApati (Prajapati; the creator-sing-voc)

(Perhaps it is prajApatiH instead? And sorry for not typing in devanagari.)
Yes it should be prajApatiH, sorry I dropped the visarga as I typed it out, it should be प्रजापतिः

saepe

"of poetry" Would'nt this be genitive?

kAvya- (poetry)

Alright, trying to find out a level-headed opinion about Sanskrit online is an absolute excersise in vain!

The discussions online reach histerical levels to the point that's hard to find out quid malum is going on.

So let's say I'd like to learn it, which Sankrit should I start with?

Apparently there are two types of Sanskrit:

- Panini Sanskrit, which is as recent as 200BC

or

- Vedic Sanskrit, which is the one 60.000 years old.

I was trying to find the STANDARD sanskrit but this leads again to more histericall claims:

pakrit, budist sanskrit, tamil better because older and unperturbed, etc.

So from a learning stand point why is Sanskrit better over Tamil, Pakrit, Kannada, and the multitude Indian languages?

What has sankrit more, better, etc over them?

So far I got the vowels down and halve consonants.

Them sandi things look total torture.

Anyway, when I asked about this language I expected some syntax/semantic analysis/comparison. Not one liners answers or philosophical digressions.

For instance an example of aorist or optative or how is something expressed in sanskrit as opposed to englisht.

I wanted to know the STRUCTURE of its writing.

In a grammar book I read that aorist translates into:

would have
should have
could have

Another thing I saw online was an explanation of a neat palindrome.

This is the kind of stuff I was after with this post.

I still see it very strange that with such a language with its grandiose claims falls shorts in some places.

Mainly range of instruments, no wine, no olive oil, etc...

I heard classical renditions with sitar and destroys them. Not until then one realizes the difference in refinement.

thank you

Martín César Rolando

Yes it should be prajApatiH, sorry I dropped the visarga as I typed it out, it should be प्रजापतिः
Please forgive my poor english:

अपारे काव्यसंसारे कविरेव प्रजापतिः
apāre: locative case adjective: in/regarding to boundless
kāvya-saṃsāre: locative compound (poetry-empirical existence) in/regarding material live of poetry
kaviḥ: subjet: the bard, poet
eva: indeclinable particle: indeed
---: copulative verb: is/seems
pra·jā·patiḥ: predicative: (out·born·lord) Lord of Creatures= Creator

Regarding to poetry's infinite way materialness, the poet is like the Creator.

"of poetry" Would'nt this be genitive?

kAvya- (poetry)

Within the compound relationship between words "kAvya" functions as it was a genitive, but without any inflection mark.

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Would you reccomend Sanskrit?

Which Sanskrit are you learning? Vedic, Paninin or Modern?

thank you
Vedic Sanskrit is hard as fuck. Sorry for my French, but no other word in the English language can properly describe the difficulty.

Paninian Sanskrit, or Classical Sanskrit is the "Sanskrit" that most people learn.

There does not exist modern Sanskrit (unless it means revived Sanskrit), since nobody dared wander too far from Panini.

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

OUCH!!!

But is it worth it? Do you reccomend it? What's your opinion?

Thanks
After you learn Vedic Sanskrit, you can read the Vedas... with commentaries. And you won't have many things else to read besides the Vedas.

But whether you learn Vedic Sanskrit, you should start with Classical Sanskrit first.