Respect for all

Mvirnau

My family has created a list of Core Values that we live by and I would like to get them translated into Latin. I have done some research, but would like to confirm it is correct. Thank you in advance.

Unconditional Love (Amor Absolutus)
Always Trustworthy (Semper Fidus)
Respect for All (Respiciet Homines)

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

The first is good.The second is okay, but it has as its referent a masculine thing/person. You might pluralize it so that it refers to all members of the family: Semper Fidi.
The third is wrong. I'm not sure what is best for our modern 'respect'. Aequitas? Decus?

Maybe Aequitas Omnibus (a fairness/levelness to all).

Mvirnau

The first is good.The second is okay, but it has as its referent a masculine thing/person. You might pluralize it so that it refers to all members of the family: Semper Fidi.
The third is wrong. I'm not sure what is best for our modern 'respect'. Aequitas? Decus?

Maybe Aequitas Omnibus (a fairness/levelness to all).
Awesome thank you for the reply!

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I'd say "one must show a certain reverence/respect towards men"

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I'd say yes.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cf. Ov. Epistulae ex Ponto 3.6.15sq.

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

respect for all:
respectus ad omnium / ad omnium respectus
(?)

Not sure of how, but apparently, respectus, "a looking again"/"a looking back", with ad and object in the genitive can mean "respect for x", or "consideration for x". Note Livy Ab Urbe Condita, 26.1, where ad veteris imperii respectum = "respect for the previous government".

Last edited:

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cf. Ov. Epistulae ex Ponto 3.6.15sq.
I don't think that's respect in the same sense...reverence/respect for a god of one's understanding is not the same as respect for another person. With the former, there is no equal footing, as there is with the latter. "Reverence" means "timid, fawning respect", more like "awe", and I don't think that's what the OP is going for. Perhaps observantia in omnes would be better? Or, maybe respectus ad omnium?

Last edited: