Homework Rome had consuls

LatinIsHard

I’m in Latin 1, taking it virtually. The assignment told us to write a paragraph (5 sentences) in Latin that compares/contrast the political systems, etc. and at least 2 of the sentences must use the comparative degree. I wrote a paragraph and sent in the draft to the teacher and everything in red is his words, black is mine and what I was trying to write is below the paragraph. I am so confused I don’t even know where to start to fix it. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hello,

First of all you need to get a grasp on the use of cases, starting with the nominative, accusative and dative since those are all that seem to have been introduced in your course so far. Perhaps you could take a look at the parts of this post concerning the nominative, accusative and dative, and come back here to ask any questions you might still have.

LatinIsHard

Last night and this evening I reread all of my resource copies from class and took a look at the post you linked. I went back and tried to correct it. Am I anywhere close to anything being right?

Roma consuls habuit. America praetorem habet. Roma politica ratio est maior quam America. Romae feminas suffragium fero non poterat. America est aetate ulterius quam Roma.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Roma consuls habuit.
You presumably meant to type consules there. If so, it's correct.
America praetorem habet.
The choice of praetor for "president" is probably not the best. The Romans didn't really know the concept of president so there is no anciently established term for it, but I've seen praeses, praesidis used in modern Latin.

But in any case, the grammar is correct.
Roma politica ratio est maior quam America.
Roma means "Rome" (noun) not "Roman" (adjective).

Maior means more like "bigger" or "greater" (it can mean older in some contexts but usually referring to people rather than things, often with a word added to make it clear that one means "greater in age"). You could say antiquior instead.
Romae feminas suffragium fero non poterat.
Why did you put feminas in the accusative? What is the grammatical function of "women" in the sentence?

Fero is first person singular present active indicative. Suffragium fero = "I vote". That is not what you want to say here. "Vote" in "could not vote" is not "I vote", but an infinitive "vote".

Poterat: who's the subject? What number is it?
America est aetate ulterius quam Roma.
Ulterius doesn't agree in gender with America as it should. Aetate ulterior also doesn't mean "more advanced", but rather "later". You haven't chosen the easiest word to translate in "advanced", though. It probably can't translate with a single word but would require a longer paraphrase maybe beyond your current level.