Safety in secrecy

Tami Olsen

The book I'm writing is a contemporary fantasy about a young archeology professor that was raised by his dad, who believed magic was real and taught spells to his son like other parents teach their kids religion. My MC, Ben, hasn't believed in it since he was a little boy. Now he's in his early thirties and his dad just died, but on his deathbed he lifted a curse from Ben, and now all the spells he learned as a kid seem to be working. He has to figure out more about magic and avoid the family's ancestral enemies (which this curse had been protecting him from).

All the spells his father taught him are activated with Latin, because that's the language the wizards in his ancestry preferred. (Although there are some discrepancies with this, as he will find, because it's only the language they preferred to WRITE the spells in.) Therefore, as part of his learning while growing up, he was taught Latin as a spoken language. (This causes all sorts of problems when he goes to teach Latin in the university he works in, because his education on Latin passed down in his family is a little bit different from that classically taught in colleges.)

So, "Safety in Secrecy" is similar to a family motto his dad always repeated to him.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

You might try:

sospitas clanculum

Which is quite literally 'safety secretly/safety in secret'; I just think the diminutive adverb clanculum has the perfect effect. It practically says 'a guy doing this':

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You might try:

sospitas clanculum

Which is quite literally 'safety secretly/safety in secret'; I just think the diminutive adverb clanculum has the perfect effect. It practically says 'a guy doing this':
That doesn't mean what I think "safety in secrecy" means. I take the OP's phrase to mean that secrecy is where you'll find safety, while your translation means that safety is doing some unspecified thing secretly.

My idea was salus in secreto but I'm not completely sure in secreto would be interpreted the same way as "in secrecy" is here, either.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe we should rather go for some rephrasing like tutus qui sua occultat, "Safe is he who keeps his matters secret".

Tami Olsen

It's definitely meant to be something more along the lines of keeping themselves out of the eye of society ensures their safety. Keeping their magic hidden keeps them safe.