News (Languages) Sardinian

Praetorianvs

Hi!

I can understand written Spanish quite easily, the spoken language is a bit harder because of the pronounce but I can understand most of it if not spoken too fast. The similarities between Spanish and Sardinian help a lot.

Spanish is not spoken in Sardinia, some people study it at the University, but that's all. There is however a city in Sardinia where an Iberian language (Catalan) is still spoken by half of the inhabitants. In the city of Alghero (in Italian) L'Alguer (in Catalan) S'Alighera (in Sardinian) it's spoken an archaic variant of Catalan language. The story of the Catalan presence in this city dates back to the Aragonese invasion in XIVth century; the Aragonese army besieged the city, and eventually managed to conquer it after suffering a lot of casualties, so the king of Aragona decided to empty the city, expelling all the inhabitants and replacing them with Catalan colonists.

P.S.
About the verb laborar/labrar/laburar; in Italian it's present as "lavorare"

In Sardinian it's not used, but it's present a derivate of the Latin noun "Labor" but with a different meaning; we use to say Labore or Laòre to indicate "cereals" in general. Perhaps in origin it was meant as "fruit of the work" and then simply abbreviated to Labore used as synonymous of "cereals or wheat".

Saludos!

Domine

I can understand written Spanish quite easily, the spoken language is a bit harder because of the pronounce but I can understand most of it if not spoken too fast. The similarities between Spanish and Sardinian help a lot.
Interesting! The same goes with me understanding Italian/Sardinian. The main reason why I prefer the Nuorese variant of Sardinian so much is because it enunciates each consonant and vowel clearly. It also sounds strangely Spanish to me as Nuorese stresses certain vowels like Spanish.

Sardinian = Spanish = English
Trés = Tres = Three
Quéres = Quieres = Do you want
Novémbre = Noviembre = November

Spanish is not spoken in Sardinia, some people study it at the University, but that's all. There is however a city in Sardinia where an Iberian language (Catalan) is still spoken by half of the inhabitants. In the city of Alghero (in Italian) L'Alguer (in Catalan) S'Alighera (in Sardinian) it's spoken an archaic variant of Catalan language. The story of the Catalan presence in this city dates back to the Aragonese invasion in XIVth century; the Aragonese army besieged the city, and eventually managed to conquer it after suffering a lot of casualties, so the king of Aragona decided to empty the city, expelling all the inhabitants and replacing them with Catalan colonists.
I am familiar with Catalan being spoken in Alghero, Sardinia. To me, it sounds like Portuguese, at times. Apparently, in that area they speak an older version of Catalan. I wasn't aware of what the Aragonese did to repopulate the strategic outpost though. It is what it is.

Attachments

Praetorianvs

Sardinian = Spanish = English
Trés = Tres = Three
Quéres = Quieres = Do you want
Novémbre = Noviembre = November
Some months names are quite particular in Sardinian, for example, the name Novembre is not used (Novembre it's in Italian).

English - Logudorese - Nuorese

January - Bennalzu, Bennarzu - Ghennarzu, Ghennarju
February - Frealzu, Frearzu - Frebarzu, Frebarju
March - Maltu, Martu - Martu, Martzu
April - Abrile - Aprile, Abrile, Avrile
May - Maju - Maju
June - Làmpadas - Làmpadas (because of the lamps and fires of St. John holiday)
July - Trìulas - Trìbulas, Trìulas (literally it means "threshings"; because it's the month of the harvest)
August - Aùstu - Aùstu
September - Cabidanni, Cabudanni - Capidanni, Capudanni (Latin "Caput Anni" = beginning of the year; or "Capitis Anni" of the beginning of the year; because in the Julian calendar it was the first month of the agricultural calendar)
October - Santu Gaìne, Santu 'Aìne, Santu Gavìne - Santu Gavìne, Santu Gabìne (from the Sardinian martyr Gabinius, died during the Diocletian's persecutions, between IIIrd and IVth century A.D.)
November - Santu Andrìa - Santu Andrìa (St. Andrews)
December - Nadale - Nadale

Saludos!

Domine

Some months names are quite particular in Sardinian, for example, the name Novembre is not used (Novembre it's in Italian).

English - Logudorese - Nuorese

August - Aùstu - Aùstu
In Nuorese they also say "Agustu"

Attachments