"Say something in Latin"

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

So, how do you usually answer this demand? Were I as quick in Latin as I were in English (although time in Oklahoma threatens to slow my speech patterns), I would try to say something clever. Instead, though, I tend to default to "aliquid Latine", which, when asked, I back-translate as "something in Latin". Then, of course, I am drilled on how to say "shut up" and other such phrases. I'm sure you know the routine.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Re:

Try: Quousque tandem abutere, (supply name of questioner), patientia nostra?

B

Bitmap

Re:

recite the first 100 lines of the Aeneid until they get bored (usually happens around line 30 already)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Bitmap dixit:
(usually happens around line 30 already)
That's good, because I've only memorized the first 77 lines so far :p

Aurifex: I might have to use that one. Depending on the person, I might lie about the translation.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re:

I memorized Augustus's introduction in Civilization V (in which the player meets Augustus (obviously, the player must not be Augustus for this to happen)).

Te saluto. Augustus sum, imperator et pontifex maximus Romae. Si tu es Romae amicus es gratus.

I use that if anyone asks if I can speak Latin (using proper Classical pronunciation and intonation (and those trilled "r"s)).

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re:

RDHV

Lucius Aelius

Linguistics Hippie

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re:

Raeda in fossa haeret immobilis.
That, or:
Ecce! In pictura est puella, nomine Cornelia. Cornelia est puella Romana quae in Italia habitat.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re:

Ego autem paucos versus ex prima in Catilinam Ciceronis oratione recitare soleo necnon et alia.
Ad hanc amentiam natura me peperit, voluntas exercuit, fortuna servavit.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Tourist Latin

Salve. Dic mihi, quæso, ubi sit Amphitheatrum Flavium?