Scientia Potentia Est

jvotero

Hello! My name is João (John), I'm from Brazil.

I'm doing a research paper to end my last year in College. I thought it would be interesting to put "contraditory" latin phrases on the final page of the paper.
The first quote would be "SCIENTEIA POTENTIA EST" from Francis Bacon. The other quote would be something meaning "Knowledge is pain". I think the Google translation of it may be wrong - like most of the time. When typed in the Google Translator it translates to SCIENTIA EST DOLOR or SCIENTIA DOLOR EST. Is it correct? Can someone help me with the translation?

Thank you very much!
Please excuse any grammatic mistakes!

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Welcome to the fora!

Interestingly, Google Translate got the translation for "knowledge is pain" right. There is effectively no semantic difference between scientia dolor est and scientia est dolor.

If I may make a suggestion, "pain" and "power" don't seem like exact opposites to me. What would you think about "knowledge is (a) weakness" (scientia est imbecillitas)?

jvotero

Welcome to the fora!

Interestingly, Google Translate got the translation for "knowledge is pain" right. There is effectively no semantic difference between scientia dolor est and scientia est dolor.

If I may make a suggestion, "pain" and "power" don't seem like exact opposites to me. What would you think about "knowledge is (a) weakness" (scientia est imbecillitas)?
Thanks you so much for your answer! I found in some places "dolor" as "dolorem" or "dolorum". Is it also correct?
Thank you for your suggestion too!

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Thanks you so much for your answer! I found in some places "dolor" as "dolorem" or "dolorum". Is it also correct?
I'm afraid not. Dolor is the right form here.
Thank you for your suggestion too!
No worries! Happy to help!

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

You as well!