SCOTTISH

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

The Brave language.

I will post Scottish things here, as I get the time.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Then again, I'm divus, so I'm scot-free to do anything.
Anyway.

Here is the representation of Praetor's post:

Scottish ( you know, Gaelic) has not been introduced strongly into the academics. I don't force Ethnic law upon anyone, but why wouldn't you want to preserve this? Your culture? And a beautiful culture, at that.

Terry, what took You so long to find Me? Why didn't You give me a pun sooner?
Alas, I have been searching and awaiting You.

For the Language.
Scots Gaelic is a language born out of the Brave Island.
Yep.
Now, the grammar:
Scaelic is a Indo-European lengye, as you know. She has a default verb-subject-object way.
Constructions follow as such: (Wiki examples)
Tha taigh agam- I have a house. This literally would mean "A house is at/on me." (Note here that this is akin to Slavic languages- we don't say "have" in Scaelic.)
Tha an cat sin le Iain- Ian (Iain) owns that cat. Literally "Is the cat that with Ian". Sounds like an interrogative sentence if you speak English, but it's not.

Scaelic Numbers are such, from 1-10:

One|Two| Three| Four| Five| Six| Seven| Eight| Nine| Ten|
a h-aon| a dhá| a trì| a ceithir| a còig| a sia| a seachd| a h-ochd| a naoidh| a deich

These are used when counting. When you use a number before a noun, you have to do some work, like
aon chara, dà charaid, trì càirdean

One friend, two friends, and three friends. Ye, you have to put them into Singular forms, Dual forms, and Plural forms.

Alba an Àigh
^
^
^
I'm also going to upload a surprise related to that soon.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

For Alba-
It's coming, I'm working on it a bit more.

The personal pronouns, of course.

mi mise- "I, me"
Familiar thu,
tu, thusa,
tusa- "you"
Respectful sibh sibhse -"you"
3rd Masculine e esan -"him"
Feminine i ise- "her"
Plural 1st sinn sinne -"we, us"
2nd sibh sibhse- "you"
3rd iad iadsan- "they, them"

Note that plural sibh is identical to "respectful" sigh- you'll come across this many times in language.

Hey, Quasus was here! :clapping:

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That’s a great thread, I’ll be following it. :)

Judging by Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_phonology
it’s hard to recover the pronunciation from the spelling. However, I’ve found a dictionary with phonetic transcription and recodrings: https://www.faclair.com/ so I think I’ve got an idea how it all sounds. ‘Thusa’ appears to be just /u/. :)

mi (mise) /mi ~ miʃə/
thu /u/
sibh (sibhse) /ʃiv/
e (esan) /ɛ - ɛsən/
i (ise) /i/
sinn (sinne) /ʃiNʲ/
sibh (sibhse) /ʃiv/
iad (iadsan) /iəd/~/əd/

tha /ha/ (???)
taigh /tɤj/
an /əN(ʲ)/
cat /kahd/ (-d doesn’t look like IPA, apparently it denotes the voiceless consonant)
sin (iad sin) /ʃin/
le /le/

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Praetorianvs

Is Scottish Gaelic mutually intelligible with Irish Gaelic?

Sadly both languages are terribly endangered.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

A lot of the dialects aren't. But, individual words and phrases are for the most part, so one can use similar vocabulary and learn mutual intelligibility.

Look thou here and here.

While on the subject of mutual intelligibility:
I know forlorn and on that Scots being its own lengye is a matter of debate. I am a native speaker of English, and I do find it easy to understand. However, even I doubt that it is a full on separate lengye. It was born out of Middle English, after all. But then again, look at some written Scots. Listen to Scots being spoken:

( I would've made a poll, but it won't let Me do it right here.)

THE SCOTTISH SWORD

Have you heard of the Claymore? If so, did you know it is Scottish?
It was the claidheamh-mòr.

I have to admit, I wanted to talk about Germanic culture so strongly that I brought up swords.
I'm in Norsk and I've been trying to connect the Norse to the Gaels.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The Great Gaelic Divide of Mutual Incomprehension lies about half-way down Co. Mayo and roughly across to Co. Louth. It isn't between Scotland and Ireland at all. Sadly, the loss of so many Irish speaking districts in NE Ireland and SW Scotland has caused the exacerbation of dialectal differences as they are now separated by huge swathes of English-speaking territory and are rarely in contact. My late father - a native speaker from North Donegal - had no great difficulty in understanding Scottish Gaelic speakers on TV, but hadn't a clue what speakers from Kerry and Cork were saying. Radio and TV have helped close some of the gaps in Ireland itself and hopefully, Gàidhlig/Gaeilge programming in the future will help do the same for the two nations before they become separate languages (although many people, with good cause, regard them as distinct languages already).

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I wonder how many of us actually speak something like Gaelic. (not including the Glorious Gaelicker above Me.)

I want to jump into the Legends and Culture right away, but we've got to cover more language grounds first.
Here's a pronunciation guide with sound.

Wiki Chart:
Here.

(The Chart won't load here, maybe because I was thinking about Norsk.)
Chan urrainn do dhuine 'sambith seirbhis a dhéanamh do dhà mhaighstir.

Relative Future
  • the root is aspirated
  • -(e)as is suffixed.
  • The second person pronoun is always tu rather than thu
First person singular
  • Lenite the root
  • suffix -(a)inn
  • do not use the pronoun mi. The inflected form includes the 1st person information)
Archaic first person plural (This form is rarely used anymore, instead the regular form just below plus the pronoun sinn is used)
  • Lenite the root
  • suffix -(e)amaid
  • do not use the pronoun sinn. The inflected form includes the 1st person information.
All forms except First person
  • Lenite the root
  • suffix -eadh or -adh
  • 2nd person singular is tu rather than thu
The Imperative (command) form of the verb is usually identical to the dictionary or root form of the verb.
  • Fàg 'leave!'
  • Leugh 'read!'
  • Coisich 'walk!'
When plural or polite, add -(a)ibh to the root form:
  • Fàgaibh 'you all leave'
  • Leughaibh 'you all read'
  • Coisichibh 'you all walk'
When the verbal noun is used, another auxiliary-type verb is used to encode tense, aspect and/or negation. However, the verbal noun carries the lexical information of the verb. In most cases the form of the verbal noun is the plain root or a suffixed root, where any of the following suffixes attach to the root: -ail, -aich, -amh, -inn, and -adh.
Bha mi a' dol dhan bhuth(aidh)
"I was going to the shop."

If you learn the conjugations and moods, Scaelic will become a real lengye for you. Make Fionn proud, and take up the claidheamh-mòr to fight for this beautiful, dying lengye!

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

While that's being fought, why don't we look at Scots?
Scots is a maybe or maybe not case in linguistics. I've already spoken on it.
But we didn't go over some rules:
None. You naturally can understand Scots. The video is up for you. :banana:

By the way.
Gaelic verbs don't really have a present tense form. The only word that has a real present tense is Bi, which means "be".
"Present tense is typically expressed using the verb bi in combination with a verbal noun in an auxiliary construction.", as quoted from the wiki.
The example given is:
Tha Muirgheal a' pògadh Pòl.

This literally means "Muriel is kissing Paul", but it can mean either the progressive or simple present. Like Latin, but instead of the simple form being standard, it's the other way around.

Look thou here.
Hey, at least it's Scottish.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I pretty much gave away the theme of My surprise in another thread, but I'll still do it for the sake of all things Scottish.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I don't like empty promises.
Looking on these posts, it seems as though I am delaying things all together for this thread.
I assure and then reassure you that I am devoted and able for Scottish.
Alba an Àigh.

This should clear up any confusion between Irish and Scottish
https://www.nztcinternational.com/blog/irish-gaelic-and-scottish-gaelic-what-are-differences

^
Good music, too.

Speaking of tales, this reminds Me of My Father telling the old tale of the family actually having a Scots-Irish ancestor.
( My mom said it too, lol.)

Thoris.jpg

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

These here Men are so awesome that they remind Me of the Kings of Wessex.

Anyways.
I have given the conjugations. And, I have shown the resources fore the verbs.
Now, it is time to start Gaelic.
There are many good books and sources on Celtic history and mytholostories so that we have an infinite well to draw from.

So, first thing.
Where does Scottish Gaelic come from?

Well, we have to see.
The language was brought by the people. There were people already living in Alba at thye time, the Picts.
Did Scottish Gaelic arise between a mix of Old Gaelic and Pictish?