SCOTTISH

Praetorianvs

What about the theory about the Picts originally speaking a not-IE language?

From the inscriptions found in Scotland it seems that they were at least bilingual, I've read, that have been found inscriptions in Celtic language and in an unintelligible non-IE language. If it's true then they spoke Celtic as acquired language to communicate with their neighbours of the south, while they continued to speak the ancestral language, until it was totally replaced by Gaelic centuries later.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

What about the theory about the Picts originally speaking a not-IE language?

From the inscriptions found in Scotland it seems that they were at least bilingual
Yea.
they spoke Celtic as acquired language to communicate with their neighbours of the south, while they continued to speak the ancestral language, until it was totally replaced by Gaelic centuries later.
Well. If that is true, then what does it mean for Scots Gaelic?
After all, there is the theory of Pictish giving birth to Gaelic, even though it's hard to find evidence.
To find Scots Gaelic's origins, should we go to Irish Gaelic?

Praetorianvs

When the Scots came from Ireland in VIth century, didn't they bring Gaelic to Scotland? Slowly replacing Brittonic Pictish and whatever other language they spoke. After all history teaches that a conqueror always imposes his language upon the vanquished, rarely the conqueror adopts the language of his subjects.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yea. At one point, sources say that "Pictish identity was forgotten."

On the usage of Scaelic and its relation to Irsgaelic, from the Wiki:
Dialects of Lowland Gaelic have been defunct since the 18th century. Gaelic in the Eastern and Southern Scottish Highlands, although alive in the mid-twentieth century, is now largely defunct. Although modern Scottish Gaelic is dominated by the dialects of the Outer Hebrides and Isle of Skye, there remain some speakers of the Inner Hebridean dialects of Tiree and Islay, and even a few elderly native speakers from Highland areas including Wester Ross, northwest Sutherland, Lochaber, and Argyll. Dialects on both sides of the Straits of Moyle (the North Channel) linking Scottish Gaelic with Irish are now extinct, though native speakers were still to be found on the Mull of Kintyre, in Rathlin and in North East Ireland as late as the mid-20th century. Records of their speech show that Irish and Scottish Gaelic existed in a dialect chain with no clear language boundary. Some features of moribund dialects have been preserved in Nova Scotia, including the pronunciation of the broad or velarised l (l̪ˠ) as [w], as in the Lochaber dialect.

The Gaelicker spoke truthfully:
The Great Gaelic Divide of Mutual Incomprehension lies about half-way down Co. Mayo and roughly across to Co. Louth.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Some features of moribund dialects have been preserved in Nova Scotia, including the pronunciation of the broad or velarised l (l̪ˠ) as [w], as in the Lochaber dialect.
This is new to me. In Ayrshire, the last native speaker of the local dialect of Gaelic (reputedly) died in 1760. There is among Scots speakers there, however, a tendency to pronounce 'l' like 'w' in some situations. I won't read to much into this yet, but I'm wondering...

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

This is new to me. In Ayrshire, the last native speaker of the local dialect of Gaelic (reputedly) died in 1760. There is among Scots speakers there, however, a tendency to pronounce 'l' like 'w' in some situations. I won't read to much into this yet, but I'm wondering...

Hmm...
What could this tell us about Gaelic? To quote you once again, I'm wondering...

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hmm...
What could this tell us about Gaelic? To quote you once again, I'm wondering...
I don't know, but I have thought in the past that there has been an unfair disinterest in recording Scots dialects by academics while all out efforts have been made to make records of the last of the disappearing Gaelic dialects. I have a hunch, that many clues about the qualities of the extinct dialects might be found in the local dialects of Scots currently spoken, especially in rural areas. On the other hand, I could be totally wrong. I wish someone would fund a few PhDs to test this.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I hope you're right.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Does it work for thee, O Terry?

Attachments

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Brilliant! Thanks. I'll read that again tomorrow. I haven't seen a copy since 2004.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Praetorianvs and Terry S., this is amazing material for Scaelic!
Whosoever is interested in the Scottish matter should look at the book Terry provided.

I like how it lists out its "chapters" as evidences.

How did you come across this work? Is it really valuable, like an antique?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I suppose it's more reliable than other sources.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Useful translation.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Wonder which mod has been going through My posts...

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Where is the sequel, though? I can't find it anywhere, but I'll stay on it.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Scottish Transportation.

And, since we talk on maps a lot:
Map of Railways in Scotland

J.M

Aye, Aye!
I live in Aberdeen or Ober Dheathain as you may call it (IF GAELIC),
J.M

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Aye, Aye!
I live in Aberdeen or Ober Dheathain as you may call it (IF GAELIC),
J.M

So many Scottish people! Do you speak Gaelic?