Shield/protect me with a magical barrier

paulmoore

I am not sure which version of this to use so if possible, can I be shown both phrases? Thanks so much.

Shield me from my enemies.

Protect me from my enemies.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re: Shield/protect me from my enemies.

There are two different words for enemy in Latin: one is for public enemies and another is for private enemies. Can you clarify which kind of enemy to allow us an easier time to translate accurately please?

The verb "to shield" and "to protect" are exactly the same in Latin.

paulmoore

Re: Shield/protect me from my enemies.

Ok sure not a problem. The bad guy goes up to the castle, uses a lightning spell, and as such he kills the king. The Catpain of the guard orders archers to fire arrows at the bad guy thus provoking him to say the phrase. I suppose that the enemy reference would be more public than private in that manner, howver, I don't necessarily need to use the word 'enemy' at all. I suppose that I could change it to a more obscure phrase like...
"Protect me with a magical barrier"
And in all honesty, that almost seems like a better fit for the scene that I have in my head so, if it all possible, can I change the request to that phrase instead? Sorry about that.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Protect me with a magical barrier.
obstructione/impedimente magica/venefica saepi

This translation is more for my benefit than yours, so wait for others to comment/critique :)

For those of you who will comment on my translation: I realize that "custodire" is the most logical word for "protect", but "saepio, saepire, saepsi, saeptum" (surround/envelop, protect) seemed like a more natural fit for a magical barrier...

I am open to criticism, though.

I was also torn between "obstructio" and "impedimentum" for barrier... Or should it simply be "saepes, saepis" (fence)? WORDS describes "saepes" as anything that can be erected to form a surrounding barrier...

Edit: What about "veneficio/magia saepi" (protect/surround me with magic)? Since verb used here has the same root as "fence", I thought this might work...

paulmoore

Akela dixit:
This translation is more for my benefit than yours, so wait for others to comment/critique :)
I like it when things are symbiotic!! And thank you for helping! In the two choices that you gave between obstructio- and impedimentum I'd personally prefer impedimentum. However, I am trying to think logically about time constraints on verbal components(which might seem kinda silly cause we are talking about a fictional land with magic and all) but it seems that if he needed to get the barrier up in a hurry, the less words needed to be said would be better. Venefica Saepi seems like it would roll off of the tongue faster, don't you agree?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

paulmoore dixit:
Venefica Saepi seems like it would roll off of the tongue faster, don't you agree?
It would if you are trying to say, "Shut in by a witch" ;)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Cinefactus dixit:
paulmoore dixit:
Venefica Saepi seems like it would roll off of the tongue faster, don't you agree?
Haha, yeah, don't forget to add obstructione/impedimente.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Cinefactus dixit:
:hysteric:

My suggestion was "veneficio/magia saepi" :) Would this work at all?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

As saepio is a transitive verb we should have a me shouldn't we?

Magicus is used by Vergil & Propertius.

What about me saepi integumento magico?

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Cinefactus dixit:
As saepio is a transitive verb we should have a me shouldn't we?
Since paulmoore was looking to shorten the phrase, could we avoid me by using a passive imperative "saepire"? Or would this not work?

paulmoore

Akela dixit:
Since paulmoore was looking to shorten the phrase, could we avoid me by using a passive imperative "saepire"? Or would this not work?
Does any kind of truncation to the phrase cause a hinderance in its translation? If I were to suggest condensing it down to 'magical barrier', 'barrier of magic', 'magical fortification', fortification of magic' or some other similar two or three worded derivative, would any of those be feasible?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

fiat integumentum magicum

Let a magic shield come into being