Sinologist & Indologist attacks on Proto-Indo-European - Thoughts?

Lycurgus

The Latins uses the word BOS for the Elephant (of Lucania), the infant of an elephant is a calf (vitulus), the Phoenician word is OGLE and μόσχος in Greek. Since vitulus begins with the digamma it drops out in Greek and Phoenician hence ἰταλός coincidentally the word for Italy. In Phoenician, OGLE also means ὄχλος, κύκλος, εὔκυκλος and ἀγορᾷ.

The word for the infant of a Camel is a lamb, for the Camel, like the sheep and goat that produces milk and wool. κάμηλον (Camel) μηλον (Sheep), μηλον in Phoenician is RHL (ῥήν) due to interchanging between μ, ν, ρ, λ hence the irregular words.

ἰταλός probably means ϝοἰκός ἁλός "House of Salt" for its trade of salt is said to be the origin of the Roma (ἄλμα) settlement.

B

Bitmap

The Latins uses the word BOS for the Elephant (of Lucania)

The Elephant of Lucania? :D

I take it you're still mystified by the dictionary entry you randomly dug up, and you probably also have no idea what it has to do with the dead-link to the Plautus passage you put in there.

B

Bitmap

In Latin, it is boves Lucae. "Oxen of Lucania" or "Lucanian oxen" (λευκανιας βόες)

What does that have to do with the Plautus passage you quoted?
For your convenience, I looked it up for you: ubi vivos homines mortui incursant boves

B

Bitmap

What does that have to do with the Plautus passage you quoted?
For your convenience, I looked it up for you: ubi vivos homines mortui incursant boves

You won't answer my question, will you?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

He didn't really answer my question either...

Lycurgus

λευκανιας is not an adjective, its a genitive plural, λευκανιας βόες means "Oxen of Luciania" (South Italy) thus in Latin, Boves Lucae.

λευκανιας βόες = τά βόες τᾶς λευκανιας "The Oxen of Luciania" .
When dealing with animals, the genitive usually sits before the nominative in Homeric poetry.

The place-name itself probably from ἁλυκός "Salt" (for the trade) poetized with λύκος "wolf" hence the mythology of Rome (ἅλμᾳ).

B

Bitmap

The Lucanian cow is an interesting story, though... but it's quite a stretch to say the Romans 'often called an elephant an ox' considering by classical times, they were completely puzzled as to why you would refer to that animal as a cow at all. Varro believes that the first time Romans ever saw an elephant (in Lucania in the war with Pyrrhus) and didn't know what kind of animal it is, they gave it the name of the biggest four-legged animal they knew, the cow – also because they mistook the elephant's teeth for it horns.

The term 'Luca bos' is found in Naevius (in a single lines – the one Varro quotes). Later, a few other poets picked up that diction (although very rarely), but the Romans generally rejected the term 'cow' for an elephant once they learnt the Phoenecian word for it.

The Greek etymology you offer makes not much sense either and essentially contradicts all etymological dictionaries I consult ...

B

Bitmap

λευκανιας βόες = τά βόες τᾶς λευκανιας "The Oxen of Luciania" .
When dealing with animals, the genitive usually sits before the nominative in Homeric poetry.

How does this have to do with Homeric poetry? Pyrrhus was about 500 years after Homer and Homer never mentioned any elephants.

B

Bitmap

The place-name itself probably from ἁλυκός "Salt" (for the trade) poetized with λύκος "wolf" hence the mythology of Rome (ἅλμᾳ).

Is this the fantasy etymology thread now? :D I think we had a fun-and-games thread dedicated to that (possibly in the games from?), but I can't seem to find it right now.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

The Latins uses the word BOS for the Elephant (of Lucania), the infant of an elephant is a calf (vitulus), the Phoenician word is OGLE and μόσχος in Greek. Since vitulus begins with the digamma it drops out in Greek and Phoenician hence ἰταλός coincidentally the word for Italy.
ἰταλός probably means ϝοἰκός ἁλός "House of Salt" for its trade of salt is said to be the origin of the Roma (ἄλμα) settlement.
Are we being spoilt for choice here?

Lycurgus

The first time Romans most likely speaking a language much closer to Mycenaean, when encountering the beast, most likely coined as a μέγα βῶς "Big Ox" . The word for Ivory probably for ὀδούς μέγα βοός "the teeth of a big oxen". The Phoenician for ivory is SNEBIM for dens boum "teeth of a cattle". (ὀδούς βοῶν).

Iu.: dentīs exacuit sus, tusks , V.: viperei, O.: eburnei, elephants' : Indi, the elephant's , O.: gemmae et dentes Indi, ivory , O.: Libycus, ivory , Pr.— A tooth, point, spike, prong, tine, fluke :
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=dens&la=la#lexicon

The Sanskrit word for Ivory is हस्तिदन्त (hastidanta) and दन्त (danta). d=φ.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

B

Bitmap

The first time Romans most likely speaking a language much closer to Mycenaean, when encountering the beast
In 280 B.C.? oO

(mind you ... the time when the first literature in Latin that we still have was written? :eek:)

Lycurgus

The Sanskrit for Ivory is दन्त (danta), the homologue of ὀδών, ὀδόντος Lt. dens. "Teeth", so the word obviously meant "big-ox-teeth".
The PIE entry for Elephant is obscure "probably from a non-Indo-European language, likely via Phoenician".

I am not referring to 280 BC, but the first time the animal was encountered and how they would have named it.

This also why Elephantine (Egypt) is called Migdol (Μαγδώλ) in Phoenician for μέγα ταῦρος (βῶς) Egy. m-k-tỉy-r , m-g-ꜣ-dy-r , m-ky-dy-l-t and m-k-tỉ-r. They probably used elephants as a movable watch post or φυλακῇσι μεγάλῃσι (Herodotus 2.30, 2.99). Elephantine was a colony of Greeks (Ionians and Carians) hence the Greek name for the place founded during the time of Ψαμμήτιχος καὶ Γύγης.

B

Bitmap

I am not referring to 280 BC, but the first time the animal was encountered and how they would have named it.

... which, as I showed above (in the explanation for "bos Luca") was around 280 BC.