"Spellcaster / Spell crafter"

Yelevyth

Hello all,
I'm hoping to title a character in my D&D campaign with some variation of "spellcaster" or "spell crafter" / "crafter of spells" in Latin. In regards to gender specific words/grammar, the character will be a female.

I understand that "magum" exists for the word "mage", but I was hoping to use a more literal translation that includes the word for [magical] spells.

Thank you for any and all help

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The closest things I can think of:
Incantator incantamentorum (literally meaning "enchanter of incantations").
Incantator magiae/magices (literally meaning " enchanter of magic/sorcery").
Incantator magiarum/magicarum (literally meaning "enchanter of sorceries").

If the spell refers to some kind of magical potion, then you could use incantator venenorum (literally meaning enchanter of "charms" (charms as in magical potions)).

I'm not sure how you feel about trying to convey the one casting the spell as a creator/maker/producer, but if you want to use the word "creator" rather than "enchanter", you can replace incantator with auctor.

In Latin, there doesn't seem to be a direct word that literally translates as "spell". The concept of spells is strongly connected with the concept of charms, enchantments, & incantations, hence the literal translations will reflect that.

The meanings for the word "cast" in Latin tend to refer to either throwing something (like "the die is cast") or casting metal, rather than the casting of magical spells.

The meanings for the word "craft" in Latin tend to refer to things like an art, a trade/profession, craftiness (like being cunning or deceiving), & vessels (like ships), rather than crafting something in a magical sense.

D

Deleted member 13757

Should be some good vocab. for this in Apuleius.

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The closest things I can think of:
Incantator incantamentorum (literally meaning "enchanter of incantations").
Incantator magiae/magices (literally meaning " enchanter of magic/sorcery").
Incantator magiarum/magicarum (literally meaning "enchanter of sorceries").
For a female persona, it will be "incantatrix".

I'm not familiar with Renaissance Latin and alchemy works, so can't suggest a translation for this specific kind of magic, but speaking about Romans, they would use a word for sorcerer or witch. See also this paper.

Should be some good vocab. for this in Apuleius.
Apuleius uses "cantātrix".