Symbols

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Prosphora (πρόσφορον): The loaf of Eucharistical bread in the Ortodox Rite, with the typical Ortodox Christogram.
Orthodox, my dear Q. The pharyngeal is needed in English to produce the voiceless dental fricative (we so love our dental fricatives in English). You are thinking a bit too Italiano, and not enough Hellenico! Nice loaf of bread, by the way. The "Irishman" in me wants to slather butter all over it, and fix a pot of tea...

Last edited:

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A famous symbol is the Ouroboros. The name "Ouroboros" means "tail eating" in Greek, and the figure is generally depicted as a snake eating its own tail:

(a)
1618945078957.png
(b)
1618945108480.png
(c)
1618945155913.png

(a) from a 15th century alchemical treatise, (b) a member of the emblem of the Theosophical Society, (c) in a drawing from the Book of Kells.

The Ouroboros has symbolized many things, including: eternity (being circular, the figure never ends), fertility (the tail of the serpent being a phallic symbol, and the mouth a yonic symbol, and reincarnation (In the Aitareya Brahmana, a Vedic text of the early 1st millennium BCE, the nature of the Vedic rituals is compared to "a snake biting its own tail"), among other things. A very old and potent symbol!

Last edited:

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Now for what is, perhaps, my favorite snake symbol, the "Gadsden Flag", which was one of the earliest flags borne in the American resistance against the British Crown, early on in the American Revolution (it predates the "American Flag"... the Flag of the United States of America):
(a) Gadsden flag.svg (b)
1618946247757.png
(c)
1618946302684.png
(a) the original Gadsten Flag, (b) the flag of the Virginia-based "Culpepper Minutemen" during the American Revolutionary War, (c) an illustration containing the Gadsden Flag, from an 1885 American schoolbook. The snake on the flag is, of course, a rattlesnake, which is a poisonous species having a quite painful, and possibly lethal, haemotoxic bite.

As indicated on Wikipedia, this flag is often borne in the current United States as a symbol for second amendment (gun) rights and libertarian (limited) government. Here is a photo from Wikipedia, of the recent and infamous "storming of the U.S. Capitol Building" this past January:

1618946621144.png

I, myself, tend to be libertarian in my political philosophy, so this flag is somewhat dear to me ("what is libertarianism?", you might ask...you can read about it here, if you are curious: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/libertarianism/). I think that this flag will become more important, at least within the United States, as resistance to the modern "security state" (excessive governmental control of the populace) and the demands of "progressivism" grow.

Last edited:

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Aquileia's early Christian mosaic flooring: "Il gallo e la tartaruga" - "The turtle and the rooster"
Gallo e tartaruga.jpg

The commonest interpretation of the Symbol is the fight of good (rooster) and evil (turtle).

This hypotesis is that "turtle" (tartaruga) derives from the late latin tartaruchum, mutuated from the late Greek "ταρταροῦχος = Τάρταρος + ἔχω " (a creature that lives in the abyss of Tartarus).

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

second amendment (gun)
Wish we had that in the Italian Constitution too. Not that I am a "pistolero", in fact I have shot a couple of times ina rifle range and that's it. But I think that who is able to defend himself with a firearm should be entitled to keep one freely (for instance, in Switzerland there is a gun per family and crime news are the most boring of all the continent: in fact, the Swiss basically copy-pasted your Constitution :D ... with a few changes)

Now that you make me think of firearms, here are the symbols of Liege's "firearms test stand". I think more than half of European firearms have been tested there and bear this marks. Besides, they have the best damask patterns for steel IMHO (e.g. Lebeau-Courally)

LIEGI2.jpg

The Perron of Liege:
LIEGI1.jpg

Wish we had that in the Italian Constitution too. Not that I am a "pistolero", in fact I have shot a couple of times ina rifle range and that's it. But I think that who is able to defend himself with a firearm should be entitled to keep one freely (for instance, in Switzerland there is a gun per family and crime news are the most boring of all the continent: in fact, the Swiss basically copy-pasted your Constitution :D ... with a few changes)

Now that you make me think of firearms, here are the symbols of Liege's "firearms test stand". I think more than half of European firearms have been tested there and bear this marks. Besides, they have the best damask patterns for steel IMHO (e.g. Lebeau-Courally)

View attachment 14446
The Perron of Liege:
View attachment 14448
I am surprised the forum wants comments about guns and political philosophy in the threads. Without much ado, I will simply posit: disagree. [was on rifle team in college. Has fired an M-16. Took both my children to firing ranges when they were teenagers. Pro-military. Pro (good) policing. Growing up we had 4 pistols, 3 rifles, and 2 shotguns in the house (plus a BB gun which could fire through a sheet of plywood), my father having one pistol by his bedside, loaded and unlocked. No licensing or registration at all needed--typical US state. But I am Progressive. Partial libertarian--the government should not interfere with decisions about reproduction. Moderator: feel free to shut this down.]

Really, putting a photo of people storming the US capitol--approvingly?

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Really, putting a photo of people storming the US capitol--approvingly?
Touchy, touchy. How delicate...how easily you take offense. The photo is copied from Wikipedia, so nothing new here... It was only posted as an example of the endurance of the Gadsden Flag as a symbol, and not to espouse or initiate a discussion of any political philosophy. Can you not appreciate the difference between discussion of a symbol and espousal of a philosophy? This thread is about symbols, remember? It also represents an opportunity for the members on here to divert themselves and one another, in group form, from the more serious and occasionally exhausting business of trying to learn and understand Latin grammar, which is what we do here. Also, please indicate to me the language by myself which suggests that I either approve of or glorify the events of January in D.C. I predict that you will not be able to do so, and I do not enjoy at all being libelled.

I consider myself a libertarian as well, though I am not a member of the Libertarian Party. I oppose the progressivist agenda, which frightens me for reasons which are beyond the scope of this thread, and this site. Though an Army veteran, and a combat veteran as well (Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, where I was the gunner on an M1A1 tank, a capacity in which I participated in the taking of the Jalibah Airfield), I do not own a firearm myself, never having percieved an urgency to do so. I'm sorry to have to say it, but I would consider your dad to have been the epitomy of an irresponsible gun owner. The concept of maintaining a loaded pistol by one's bedside appears indicative of a significant neurosis. Beyond that, keeping a loaded and unsecured pistol in a house with children??? Even though I do not personally own a firearm, I fully support the right of individual citizens own and keep them in a responsible manner, for very specific reasons (not including protection from "burglers", "thugs", or any other of our fellow citizens under normal social conditions) which, again, are beyond the scope here. I do not feel, however, that gun owners should maintain their weapons either loaded or unsecured within their domiciles, or should carry them about on their persons in public.

Enough said? May we return to symbols now? Perhaps I will post pictures of the Vedic/Hindu Svastika symbol, so that you can then accuse me of being a Nazi, and Iike an angered tomcat, I can "get my back up" once again. What anticipatory fun! Alternatively, you could desist from putting words back into my mouth which did not proceed therefrom to begin with.

By the way, @David Fields...you can thank me for my service whenever you feel good and ready, and feel free to apologize for your unwarranted implications as you so do!

Last edited:

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I am surprised the forum wants comments about guns and political philosophy in the threads
Sorry, it was not in my plans to trigger a reaction or be too "political". I just praised that particular (US) Constitution (I daresay most scholars would agree with me) and mention some steel works you see on -artistically and historically relevant- guns from a certain city where steel craftmanship thrived in the past -again, this is unquestionable-
Besides, the Symbol you see there is just an historical landmark...

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I daresay most scholars would call you an arrogant puppy if you were assuming that they would agree with your curious proposition that the right to be an American-style gun nut is one that should serve as an international model, which is what you appear to be saying.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I daresay most scholars would call you an arrogant puppy if you were assuming that they would agree with your curious proposition that the right to be an American-style gun nut is one that should serve as an international model, which is what you appear to be saying.
...Ecce minaciter imminet arbiter ille supremus...
Oh, you are so smart... You clearly outwit me. I cannot answer without a stammer in front of your compelling argumentation. My meek remarks are no match to you. O mighty creature, I look on your words and despair.

Not that I am a "pistolero"
I'm not a native but there's a chance merriam-webster has this noun...

American-style gun nut
You are so clever really, nobody uses stereotypes better than you do. Chapeau!

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Passive-aggressive is really in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? For me EQFL's oh-so-innocuous remarks, after which he retreats with his coy little squeal about only voicing views that are generally considered sound, are a masterclass in the genre. Still, isn't he only around 21 going on 13? With luck he'll grow out of it.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

To be fair, MZ kicked it all off, lecturing us all on libertarianism, and ending in a typical Yank meltdown where he demands praise for being daft enough not to have had any other options than to sign up to be cannon fodder. No wonder the poor chap has such problems with any language, let alone Latin.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

His latest film Mule (directed and starred in) is very watchable. Apparently based on an old fella who worked as a mule for a Mexican drug cartel. He's looking old now though, perhaps his last film.
I haven't watched it yet. This weekend I'll try to take some time to watch it. I like his composure.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

@Michael Zwingli Don't feed Etaoin Shrdlu with logic answers whatsoever. You know, in nuce, E.S. is eager for the fray if you get my drift.
And BTW, I probably have been a tad political, so I'll try to be less so in the future. Sometimes your opinion on certain subjects slips through the keyboard...