Tacitus Annals 1.15 - what verb is introducing this ut clause?

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

inter quae tribuni plebei petivere ut proprio sumptu ederent ludos qui de nomine Augusti fastis additi Augustales vocarentur. sed decreta pecunia ex aerario, utque per circum triumphali veste uterentur: curru vehi haud permissum.

I think it's an indirect command, but I can't figure out what main verb is introducing it?

The only thing I can think is that you have to understand 'decretum est' before ut, as a continuation of 'decreta'.

'But the money was decreed from the treasury, and (it was decreed) that they (the tribunes of the plebs) should wear triumphal clothing in the circus'

Is this correct?

Edit - unless it's introduced by permissum in the next clause?

B

Bitmap

inter quae tribuni plebei petivere ut proprio sumptu ederent ludos qui de nomine Augusti fastis additi Augustales vocarentur. sed decreta pecunia ex aerario, utque per circum triumphali veste uterentur: curru vehi haud permissum.

I think it's an indirect command, but I can't figure out what main verb is introducing it?

The only thing I can think is that you have to understand 'decretum est' before ut, as a continuation of 'decreta'.

'But the money was decreed from the treasury, and (it was decreed) that they (the tribunes of the plebs) should wear triumphal clothing in the circus'

Is this correct?

Edit - unless it's introduced by permissum in the next clause?

Your translation seems correct to me. Tacitus' style seems to be quite concise and difficult at times. I would say that the 'main verb' here is elliptic ... it could also be the premissum from the next clause ... it all comes down to the translation you have, though.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Yeah I'd say it's implied from decreta. Very Tacitean thing to do.

Incidentally, have you read T.'s other works? I'd say the Annales are his hardest.