The Art Thread

It's also the piece (Pollock no 5) mentioned in the Stone Roses single (b-side) 'Going Down'.

If lyrics and album/single sleeve designs are taken into consideration I think it's safe to assume Squire was a bit of a Pollock fan.

a8b6b3a6122c0d44fae9e411390f0c15.gif

A batch of Squire creations for Stone Roses sleeves. It's rare a band create their own and I'm not sure why this is the case as you'd think bands would want to have this sort of control in general.

I've liked it but I'm not a fan of any modern/postmodern movements but at least cubism has a fixed format to the extent you can at least appreciate and reconstruct what the artist is trying to achieve in any given piece.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I've liked it but I'm not a fan of any modern/postmodern movements but at least cubism has a fixed format to the extent you can at least appreciate and reconstruct what the artist is trying to achieve in any given piece.
I am not a total criticiser of modern art, I like some of Andy Warhol works. I also like works of Philip Pearlstein, Alex Katz, Jack Beal and Neil Welliver (modern realism american school).

Saint Michael Statue, Maidan Square, Kiev Ukraine
59beabb9976b51720ccdf69eca95fe71.jpg

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
Mmm. Isn’t that saddening? I feel as if the past painters that we love so dearly were just as modern in their day. I wish that modern searches and revolutions had more substance as well. I’m not going to say all of it is bad, as its subjective and not based on my likes; but, you know...it could be based more on abstract emotions and philosophies than abstract painting styles.

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
Not surprised, after the School of Athens.

Is that Michael made of bronze?

I used to be like you pair (more balanced and able to enjoy elements of it) but over the last few years I've turned my back on all forms of postmodernism. The philosophy behind its art, poetry, and architecture is too politisized in relativism. For me, it not only contests that those skilled with pen, brush and chisel can never reach the heights of perfection but also mocks them through art for trying.

A bit deep but put another way, a Pollock creation's raison d'etre is quite literally to be a boot in the face of a Rubens', Vermeer' and so on.

I suppose you could say so what. Why can't some enjoy gorgeous landscapes in oil painted by highly skilled 21st century artists and others enjoy abstract creations of entropy and colour. Probably right too.

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
Oh My God!

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
William Blake is one of those exceedingly few who paint as well as they write. What more could you ask for?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
The history of Laocoon's arm is interesting ... when the statue was found, Laocoon's right arm was missing and a debate arose over the question as to what it might have looked like ... interestingly enough, Michelangelo suggest that it was probably bent backwards, but it was eventually restored as a stretched out arm.

The missing arm was actually found in 1906 and given to the Vatican museum. As is typical of museums, they just put it into their archive and didn't really care about it for about 50 years, until in 1957, the original arm was attached to the statue.

The history of Laocoon's arm is interesting ... when the statue was found, Laocoon's right arm was missing and a debate arose over the question as to what it might have looked like ... interestingly enough, Michelangelo suggest that it was probably bent backwards, but it was eventually restored as a stretched out arm.

The missing arm was actually found in 1906 and given to the Vatican museum. As is typical of museums, they just put it into their archive and didn't really care about it for about 50 years, until in 1957, the original arm was attached to the statue.
Brilliant post.