Tattoo [There is] light in darkness

StonkySam

Hi All,
For some background, I am an 18 year old lad who wants to get a tattoo to commemorate some of the hardships I have been through in my relatively short life.

The tattoo I am getting is a rose on my shoulder and arm, for my sister. The plan is to have "there is light in darkness" across the top of the rose on a scroll and "through sheer force of will" across the bottom, on a seperate scroll.

I am completely open to suggestions for something better than "through sheer force of will" if there is a translation that looks smoother or you think fits better. However, if possible I would like the keep the "There is light in darkness" or "light in darkness".

I really appreciate your time in reading this and look forward to reading your replies.
Cheers,
Sam :)

Last edited:

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

light in darkness: LVX IN TENEBRIS (lux in tenebris)

through sheer force of will: SOLA VI VOLVNTATIS (sola vi voluntatis)

StonkySam

Thank you very much. Would it make sense to have them together? They won't be in the same sentence and would be too and bottom of the tattoo.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

If "light in the darkness through sheer force of will" makes sense to you, then go for it.

StonkySam

Cheers for the reply. Would "there is" in front of "light in the darkness" change it much? It makes sense as is, at least to me. I just would like to weigh up all the options.
Sorry for any bother.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

In that case, I'd add a simple est at the beginning.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

There's no word for 'the' in Latin.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Unfortunately for us, we can't see all the latin...