Trust the dog / trust your dog

Dogstar

I’m a search and rescue K9 handler, and this phrase is paramount - the dog is used because they have a skill you don’t possess, and once they know the job, they should do most of the work. It is truly a team effort, but we pretty much just drive, navigate, and carry the toy. ;) Our analytical brains often get in the way - hence... trust the dog!

The phrase would be said to a female if it matters. I usually say “trust your dog” but “trust the dog” is just fine if that’s more straightforward to translate.

I’ve seen “fide canem” out there, but when searching I seem to see “crede” used more in that kind of context. Can either be used? Are their meanings different? I’m also confused when to use canem / cani.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dogstar

Thank you!

Is there a simple way of describing when to use cani vs. canem? I understand that there are different noun types, (and that those 2 words are associative vs. dative) ....but didn’t find an explanation that seemed to click with my phrase.

I realize there is probably not a simple explanation.... and if you all agree cani vs. canem that’s good enough for me. :)

Also, if anyone can explain a bit why you prefer confide vs. crede vs. fide I’d love that. I am just a curious person who loves to know the “why.”

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you!

Is there a simple way of describing when to use cani vs. canem?
Some verbs take accusative case as their object (cave canem - beware of the dog), some take dative (cani confidere - to trust a dog), some take ablative case as thier object (canibus uti - to use the dogs)

confidere + dative - to trust, rest assure on someone or something. put trust or confidence in someone
credere + dative = to believe someone e.g. I believe you
credere + in + accusative = believe that someone / something exists
fidere - more like to humans, to trust that he will not betray you

Last edited:

Dogstar

Thank you - that was extremely helpful yet clear.

So credere + dative would technically still work, but confidere is more aligned with the full intent of the phrase with “trust.”

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

credere + dative = to believe someone e.g. I believe you
It can also mean to trust, though.

Crede cani is also correct as a translation of "trust the dog".

I would say we've simply got a few valid alternatives here.

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Fide cani seems the preferable option here to simply translate trust the dog (or even trust your dog if you don't specially want to insist on the possessive).
Confide cani is a bit more heavy and comitted : put your trust in the dog.
Crede cani though a possible translation as already said still uses the verb credere and therefore somehow retains a meaning more alluding to belief.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

equo ne credite, Teucri.
quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentis.

--Vergil, Aeneid, II. 48-49.
"Do not believe in the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear Greeks even bearing gifts."

If you wanted to be cute, you could do fide Fido, if your dog's name is Fido. OK, it would have to be Fidus.