Via Appia: Question

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Question: Did the Appia go through Velitrae? (Were there any intermediary vici between Rome and the Tres Tabernae?)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Lol. The Wikipedia entry for Tres Tabernae says, "Later in the high Middle Ages, Tres Tabernae was ravaged several times by the Saracens, until it was completely destroyed in 868.[citation needed]"

Here was I thinking that the high middle ages didn't start till several centuries later.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

High Middle Ages are the earlier period, I think. So, from the fall of Rome until around 1000? (Or around 800? I don't remember.)

Anyway, so, about the Appian Way, I guess that it did not go through Velitrae...

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I guess it was like this:

(Via Appia)

Roma
Aricia
Tres Tabernae (stabulum)
Tripontium
Forum Appii
Tarracina

There might be a trivium to Velitrae, but I guess it did not go through that city.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Could anyone help me try to find (if there is at all) the original ..or, well, the ancient Roman (or a Greek) name of the Sabato river (south of Benevento)? I don't think it was Sabatus as some sources suggest, this looks like a Christian name based on the Jewish Sabath, right?... It must therefore be a medieval name.