Voice of the [group]

Shay H.

This is for a title. Here are a few examples. I could use some second thoughts on them (like should I be using vox or voce?)

The idea is that the "voice" of a group is the person that's been given the right to make bargains for a group without necessarily being their leader. It's supposed to be a bit more symbolic than a "speaker", which is why I stepped aside from using "orator".

Vox Tribus - Voice of the Clan
Vox Decuriae - Voice of the Pack/Squad
Vox Dextellae - Voice of the Hand (a Hand being a special military unit)
Vox Intimorum - Voice of the Inner [Circle]* I'm liking the idea of an inner circle within a group being called an "intima" because of the resonance with the English "intimate", but not to the point of screwing up the Latin.

Vox Primus / Prima / Primum - First Voice

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The idea is that the "voice" of a group is the person that's been given the right to make bargains for a group without necessarily being their leader.
It seems to me you are referring to the position of "representative"
My first guess was vicarius, auctor, (pro)curator.

Shay H.

My apologies if this looks too long. I'm trying to understand, and show you the effort I'm putting into doing that.

In English, you're probably right that "representative" would work, but that's because a representative acts as the front-man for a group.

Looking those up in the Olivetti's Online Latin Dictionary, I'm suddenly not trusting that source so much.
vĭcārĭus
masculine noun II declension View the declension of this word

1 vicarage its income
2 priest
I have no idea what "vicarage its income" even means. However, they have an adjective entry, too.
vĭcārĭus
adjective I class View the declension of this word

1 substitute
2 substituted
3 vicarious
4 supplying the place of someone and something
Lewis and Short give the noun as (A) "substitute, deputy, proxy" or (B) an "under-slave"

When I looked up auctor, the definitions came back with seller/vendor, historian, author of a piece of legislation.
Curator: superintendent, guardian, manager
Procurator: manager, administrator, agent, deputy

So, tldr: Are there aspects to the words that the dictionary translations aren't show casing?
And is there a reason that the artsy "vox" is a bad fit?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Latin and english differ in syntax. Sometimes there is no or little possibility to calque english expression or sentence into latin.
I would imagine a roman having difficulty to understand vox gregis.

Last edited:

Shay H.

okay, so it is a matter of me overlaying what a "voice" can mean in English to what "vox" actually means in Latin. I think I'll try tossing my hangups on how close vicarius and vicar sound and go with that.
Next hurdle: should that be in the nom. with the "of the group" in the gen.? or should both be nom./gen. case?

A) vicarius decuria [nom. nom.]
B) vicarius decuriae [nom. gen.]
C) vicarii decuriae [gen. gen.]

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

vicarius decuriae - the representative of decury.

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

You can use vox figuratively in the same way you use "voice" figuratively in English.