Voices from the past

Nova105

Hello there,

I hope you’re doing well! May I ask if anyone here could help translate the following title for my student in Heritage&Design into Latin:

Voices from the Past: Meeting the Inexorable Figures

Elisabete is working on a heritage tour about the most remarkable statues of Porto, Portugal, and your help is much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Voces e Tempo Antiquo: Occurrere Formas Inexorabiles

Literally – "Voices from an ancient time: to meet the inexorable forms / figures."
Before you take this and run with it, I would suggest waiting for some more knowledgeable forum members to second (or correct) it.

I hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Voces e Tempo Antiquo: Occurrere Formas Inexorabiles

Literally – "Voices from an ancient time: to meet the inexorable forms / figures."
Before you take this and run with it, I would suggest waiting for some more knowledgeable forum members to second (or correct) it.

I hope this is helpful!
ē tempō? May I ask where you got that construction from?

Last edited:
Well I originally had ex tempo but then I changed it because tempo starts with a consonant.
Maybe I second-guessed myself incorrectly?

Anyway, what I was going for in either instance was "from a time" – specifically "from an ancient time".

Well I originally had ex tempo but then I changed it because tempo starts with a consonant.
Maybe I second-guessed myself incorrectly?

Anyway, what I was going for in either instance was "from a time" – specifically "from an ancient time".
I wasn't referring to the ex/ē variation but rather to your choice to decline tempus as a second declension noun. I don't recall ever seeing that.

o_O Oh wow thank you for catching that!
Because the nominative singular ends in -us, I just assumed the word was 2nd declension.
Tempore is correct in this case.

By the way do you think ex or e is better here?

Sorry for the confusion!

My first instinct would be to say ex, but that's not to say ē is bad. I'll leave that matter to someone more well-read to confirm.

Thank you so much, Cornelivs, this means a lot!
Glad you found it helpful! Please note a couple alterations:

Voces ex Tempore Antiquo: Occurrere Formas Inexorabiles

1. Replaced e with ex.
2. Replaced Tempo with Tempore.

Nova105

Thank you both for engaging in this matter!
So, the correct translation would be: Voces e(x) Tempore Antiquo: Occurrere Formas Inexorabiles ?