"We increase."

Perseverabo

Hi all! Looking to have the phrase "We increase" translated into Latin.

For context: it is the family motto for a family crest. "Increase" here means that the family, successively, grows in influence and wealth...so, in general, it means generation after generation that the family increases in stature.

Thanks much in advance for your kind assistance!

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Hey,

in this sense I suppose there are several options.

Some options are: crēscimus => we grow/we increase (as in "we are increased" not as in "we increase something": just what you want ^)

Or you could even use the Biblical multiplicāmur which is "we multiply" (as an answer to the God's "Vōs autem crēscite et multiplicāminī" -> You however grow and multiply! (in case it would seem fit to you)

For that matter, you can even use both just as the Vulgate (the Latin Bible) did in aforementioned quote and say "crēscimus et multiplicāmur" (we increase/grow and multiply) or just with two words "crēscimus multiplicāmurque" which means the same, or just as two verbs together separated by an implied comma "crēscimus multiplicāmur" (we grow, we multiply).

That's one idea^

Last edited:

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

By the way, in case you will be satisfied with our translations, it seems the forum is struggling to pay its bills that are due to July... THREAD: latind-hosting-fees-donations-needed

But, of course, we provide the assistance absolutely for free as we've always done (for the sheer love of the language), so, no pressure at all! ;)
(On the other hand, it would be great if we could continue doing so after July as well :-/ )

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi all! Looking to have the phrase "We increase" translated into Latin.
For context: it is the family motto for a family crest. "Increase" here means that the family, successively, grows in influence and wealth...so, in general, it means generation after generation that the family increases in stature.
Augescimus comes to mind.

augescere = to begin to grow, to become greater, to grow, increase (syn.: cresco, incresco)

Also:

Grandescimus

grandescere = to become great, to grow ( poet. and in post-Aug. prose).

Last edited:
Even though the all the verbs offered here signify "we" (because they end in -mus), you could also add the Latin pronoun nōs for emphasis.

For example, using a verb from above, the motto would become: "Nōs Crēscimus"
The meaning is the same without nōs – I just thought that since this is a family motto it might be a good idea to emphasize the "we" aspect.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Are there any parallels for this use of an emphatic pronoun in a motto? A sweeping one-word statement seems more idiomatic to me, but I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of mottos.

Not that I know of – it was merely a suggestion. :)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

In my mother tongue (a conservative IE language w/ rich inflection), the pronoun version may sound stilted or as an implication that someone else doesn't grow but "we do", so I would suggest dropping the pronoun as well...