What are you listening to? (music)

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Incidentally: how intuitively comprehensible is this text for you ( Pacifica ) as a Modern French native speaker? Is it like reading Shakespeare would be for us, or maybe Chaucer, or is it even weirder than that?
It isn't very easy. It's definitely further away from Modern French than Shakespeare is from today's English. I hesitated whether to compare it to Old English but I don't think the difference is quite that huge. I guess Chaucer is a fair comparison.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Then again, I can understand some of it instinctively thanks to Latin and my experience with languages in general, but your average French speaker might not even understand that much.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Youtube is suggesting stupid Crusade videos in crappy Latin to me now :/

Thanks Pacifica :p

I've also noticed that a lot of people post 'Deus vult! from XY' in the comments there ... I wonder if #deusvult is some Nazi crap :/

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
It's crappy right?!?!? I hate that song, I hate the female voice and the stupid choir.

I think supremacists rather say Óðinn vill það or so.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Youtube is suggesting stupid Crusade videos in crappy Latin to me now :/

Thanks Pacifica :p

I've also noticed that a lot of people post 'Deus vult! from XY' in the comments there ... I wonder if #deusvult is some Nazi crap :/
Lol. That one was posted before... Maybe on this thread.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
It depends, but YouTube has been suggesting some nice ones to me lately.

It's a shame they've cut the first few minutes from this video. There was another video kocking about a few years back with Hopkins telling the story of the stuttering boy and Mr Charlie before leading into this performance.

Godmy

A Monkey
This again:

Interesting ;) Ok, I'm throwing a Czech anti-crusaders song (since, similarly as on Germany, the Pope has ordered a crusade to be done against us at one point)

Our reformists (about a century older than Lutherans) were incredible religious fanatics (burning libraries etc.), so similarly as ISIS in its initial battles when they were winning cities, they had an incredible advantage of the "zeal" of the "will to fight and die" in opposition to the people who tried to find against them (=just being defensive) even if in larger numbers. (just like it was with ISIS vs. Iraq army). So, it is said in some historical account, that it happened once that when a the crusaders army was approaching our reformists' army, they heard this song from afar... the sound becoming more and more loud as the reformists were approaching and they started fleeing before thy would even engage in the battle :p The reformists were lead by a genius strategist/general (Jan Žižka of Trocnov) who had only one eye, can be seen in the picture ;p

Godmy

A Monkey
It's funny that an [opera] version of this choir I just sent is used today for the approach/arrival of the president on ceremonious occasions. (Our president has little political power, it's an equal to the Brittish queen, a representative figure only who he lives in the Prague castle.)

That is, this plays when the president "marches".

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
She mispronounces some vowels in a way that is occasionally confusing, but overall, not bad.

Reactions: LCF

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member