What are you listening to? (music)

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Goddamn, this song is so gorgeous... If only Helen Humes had another verse or two. :hissyfit:

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
@Hawkwood

At work earlier I flipped the radio to the channel listed as 'Zen', and there was this absolutely bitchin' instrumental duet (well, with drums also) of a flamenco-style guitar and a goddamn shamisen. Needless to say, there were no lyrics, so I had/have no way to find it & will lament therefor unto perpetuitatem, but I'm positive you would've liked it.

However, a query unto the great Googlonius gave me this, which is pretty cool (the guy in the description, of course, doesn't know where it's from & can't find out):

@Hawkwood

At work earlier I flipped the radio to the channel listed as 'Zen', and there was this absolutely bitchin' instrumental duet (well, with drums also) of a flamenco-style guitar and a goddamn shamisen. Needless to say, there were no lyrics, so I had/have no way to find it & will lament therefor unto perpetuitatem, but I'm positive you would've liked it.

However, a query unto the great Googlonius gave me this, which is pretty cool (the guy in the description, of course, doesn't know where it's from & can't find out):
Always the way. I can't tell you how many times I've made mental notes from listening to the radio only for them to slip out of my ears before I've made it home.

That that you linked is good though, in fact the last few videos on here are good, chaps.

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
Alas! Mercury again.

Factoid. Holst and Elgar died in the same year.

Only found this out through University Challange wherein a Cambridge House utterly walloped an Oxford one to make it to the QF next week.

Tironis

Holst, Elgar, Delius and Schreker all died in 1934 - and probably some other composers.

Holst, Elgar, Delius and Schreker all died in 1934 - and probably some other composers.
I should have added the question posed on UC related to English composers only. Delius was the third one (slipped my mind) but Paxman only required two of the three.

Tironis

1937 was the year when a number of well-known composers decided enough was enough, for whatever reason: Ravel, Gershwin, Widor, Szymanowski, Pierné and . . . who else?

I would not like to guess as I'd be just spouting 20th century composers at you. I do know a fair few it could not be due to living into the post-WWII period but that's about it.

Have you had a bash at the composer quiz on here?

I can't find it. I imagine it's in the games section somewhere. I can't recall if I made a thread for it or used an existing quiz thread. No doubt you'll stumble upon it at some point.

Not that, it was a link to I think 20 picture questions on composers. It's likely hidden somewhere in a thread within the games section.

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
@Issacus Divus - really like them tunes you posted earlier (Mos Def nad Kendrick Lamar)
Yeah, I know! A friend told me about Mos Def, so I've been checking him out. So far "Hip hop" is my favorite track on his album "Black on both sides".