What are you reading?

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Frank Herbert's Dune (Polish version by Marek Marszał)
1600032380706.png

Paul Atreides dixit:
Nie wolno się bać. Strach zabija duszę. Strach to mała śmierć, a wielkie unicestwienie. Stawię mu czoło. Niechaj przejdzie po mnie i przeze mnie. A kiedy przejdzie, obrócę oko swej jaźni na jego drogę. Którędy przeszedł strach, tam nie ma nic. Jestem tylko ja.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
@Quasus
@Hemo Rusticus , (Herbert was buddist; I think the litany could have been inspired by Mahamrityunjaya Mantra?

ॐ त्र्य॑म्बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्ध॑नम् ।
उ॒र्वा॒रु॒कमि॑व॒ बन्ध॑नान् मृ॒त्योर्मुक्षीय॒ मा ऽमृता॑त् ।[3]

oṃ tryambakaṃ yajāmahe sugandhiṃ puṣṭi-vardhanam
urvārukam iva bandhanān mṛtyor mukṣīya mā 'mṛtāt
[4]

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Frank Herbert's Dune (Polish version by Marek Marszał)
View attachment 11030

@Quasus
@Hemo Rusticus , (Herbert was buddist; I think the litany could have been inspired by Mahamrityunjaya Mantra?

ॐ त्र्य॑म्बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्ध॑नम् ।
उ॒र्वा॒रु॒कमि॑व॒ बन्ध॑नान् मृ॒त्योर्मुक्षीय॒ मा ऽमृता॑त् ।[3]

oṃ tryambakaṃ yajāmahe sugandhiṃ puṣṭi-vardhanam
urvārukam iva bandhanān mṛtyor mukṣīya mā 'mṛtāt
[4]

On the subject of "Fear" - a remarkable film by Fassbinder (English subtitles)

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus
I've finished this book:

1600992646610.png

This book is very interesting as it's about how the media (particularly blogs) distorts news. It goes in depth about the ways that what we read on many internet blogs (like Gawker, Buzzfeed, The Huffington Post, etc.) are manipulated to get people to believe lies (hence, fake news). This is essentially the playbook for exploiting the media, which was written by a man who used to exploit the media.

I will never view blogging sites the same way ever again.

LCF

Dr. Freud
I've finished this book:

View attachment 11120

This book is very interesting as it's about how the media (particularly blogs) distorts news. It goes in depth about the ways that what we read on many internet blogs (like Gawker, Buzzfeed, The Huffington Post, etc.) are manipulated to get people to believe lies (hence, fake news). This is essentially the playbook for exploiting the media, which was written by a man who used to exploit the media.

I will never view blogging sites the same way ever again.
Can you do a longer writeup on this please. I am curious and lazy to read it :)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Currently reading : Spies of No Country: Secret Lives at the Birth of Israel.
It's actually pretty god book (if you like non-academical history books)

spies.jpg

@Issacus Divus

Tironis

Civis Illustris
1602966532847.png

Part Two of Daniel Todman's epic history of the Second World War opens with one of the greatest disasters in British military history - the fall of Singapore in February 1942. Unlike the aftermath of Dunkirk, there was no redeeming narrative available here - Britain had been defeated by a far smaller Japanese force in her grandly proclaimed, invincible Asian 'fortress'.

The unique skill of Daniel Todman's history lies in its never losing sight of the inter-connectedness of the British experience. The agony of Singapore, for example, is seen through the eyes of its inhabitants, of its defenders, of Churchill's Cabinet and of ordinary people at home. Each stage of the war, from the nadir of early 1942 to the great series of victories in 1944-5 and on to Indian independence, is described both as it was understood at the time and in the light of the very latest historical research.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Currently reading : Spies of No Country: Secret Lives at the Birth of Israel.
It's actually pretty god book (if you like non-academical history books)

View attachment 11435

@Issacus Divus
I've read numerous books like that. Interesting things really. The making of the state of Israel was pretty peculiar in my opinion.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
The making of the state of Israel was pretty peculiar in my opinion.
I would say it was quite brutal. The Jews didn't have easy time in 1948 and had to fight tooth and nail for every inch of the land.

Nowadays, Israel is an economically well developed and stable country:thumb-up:
Hajfa is example of Israeli economical success - a beautiful vivid port city (Israeli California) - I would like to visit Hajfa one day.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
If it weren't so dangerous and so dear, I'd be tempted to spend a bit of time in Israel, but the way things are I'll observe from afar.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
If it weren't so dangerous and so dear, I'd be tempted to spend a bit of time in Israel, but the way things are I'll observe from afar.
In Poland there are mostly tourist trips oriented on visiting "Holy Land" and christian historical sites (Jerusalem, Nazareth, Bethleiem, facultativelly Masada and Dead Sea). The prices are ridiculously high.:(

I would like to visit Israel, but more likely focus on Hajfa, Jaffa, Eliat and Tel-Aviv.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
That's it in a nutshell. The Holy Land trips cost a fortune (I don't have). On the other hand, they do provide some security for the traveller. No, I'll stay put.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
That's not bad: nine to the euro. That's give me a head start.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
That's it in a nutshell. The Holy Land trips cost a fortune (I don't have). On the other hand, they do provide some security for the traveller. No, I'll stay put.
Lot of Poles go to Croatia for holiday - beautiful country, friendly people, good wine, tasty cuisine, hot chicks, nice beaches, affordable prices.

@Bestiola

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
My dad once got me a really cool booklet written in what appears to be liturgical Slovak; I hope I still know where it is.