Where is the best place to start?

Leslie Turai

I'm going to start learning ancient greek in school, and I want to get a head start, what site or book is the best place to get down the basics of pronunciation and such?

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

If you truly want to learn how to pronounce it, Vox Graeca (by W.S. Allen) is probably the best guide; it is, however, very detailed and technical.

Additionally, you have to bear in mind that for many (if not most of) the letters, the original pronunciation is very difficult for English speakers, and so for teaching purposes their values are replaced with more convenient sounds. This is also true of the pitch accent, which most students and teachers simply ignore.

I started with Wilding, Greek for beginners, but it's rather old-fashioned. If you're doing it in school probably the best bet is to find out what textbook you'll be using and have a look at that, because conventions can differ very considerably. Generally speaking, which textbook it's best to use depends very much on your personal preferences in learning languages.

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

Also, I would be interested to learn which textbook you are going to use at school. If you ever find the time to share that info here, I would really appreciate that :) I'm always keen to broaden my horzion on that front.

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

You could use this: http://www.typegreek.com/
It has no diacritics though...
It does - type ()/\|= after the letters.

However, an easier solution is just to add a Greek keyboard setting to your computer. Usually you don't have to download anything, it's just in settings under 'keyboard' or 'languages' or the like.

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris