Tattoo Wild soul

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, anima libera sounds right to me as well given Madalyn's answer. Note that libera anima would work as well, if Madalyn prefers that order for any reason.
You make a good point, @Callaina. It is a decision which only Madalyn can make. In order for her to make that decision in an informed way, I think a bit on information about vowel/syllable quantity should be provided to her.

@Madalyn, please note that as in Latin, word order was more flexible than it is in English, the noun phrases anima libera and libera anima are equally valid; you may choose either according to your taste. You should have some additional information about vowel length in these two words before so choosing. Please note that in my description of this below, a long vowel will be shown as doubled.

Latin had definite rules for the length of vowels, which is known as "vowel quantity" or "syllable quantity". There is only one long vowel in the two words anima and libera, and that is the initial "i" of libera, making the word sound like "liibera"; in saying "libera", you want to "draw out" the "i" a bit. This means that you have your choice between anima liibera, with the long drawn-out syllable at the beginning of the second word of the two word phrase, and liibera anima, with the long drawn-out syllable at the very beginning of the phrase. The choice between these must be yours, according to your taste.

EDIT: Please note that you do not want to double the "i" in libera when you get ink! The foregoing has to do with the way the words are pronounced, not the way they are written.

Last edited: