William Whitaker's Words

• Thread starter Deleted member 13757
  • Start date

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I don't think the original version is crap at all for those who've learnt to understand and use it properly for both learning and teaching purposes, but this adaptation is ... very interesting, thanks for letting us know!

I think I would probably stay with the vanilla version because it gives slightly more relevant / less copious output (even though harder to read and understand unless you've looked up the manual or made yourself familiar with the abbreviations), as e.g. the vanilla version doesn't give me for, fari by inputting "femina" just because there is a possible "femin-" which could be with an ending connected to some hypothetical (non-exstant) femini... (2nd.prs. pl. subj.) etc. But this is an interesting didactic attempt anyway!

^ Welcome back, LCF!

D

Deleted member 13757

Thanks.

If you have an exclusion list you are welcome to send it to me and I will add it to the engine.

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oh you're working on this ? If you'd like feedback there's one thing I noticed- it doesn't know what to do with syncopated perfect infinitives like ambulasse or rogasse. However it does fine with ambularunt and rogarunt so syncope does seem to be something that WWW is supposed to account for.

D

Deleted member 13757

Thanks.

Oh you're working on this ? If you'd like feedback there's one thing I noticed- it doesn't know what to do with syncopated perfect infinitives like ambulasse or rogasse. However it does fine with ambularunt and rogarunt so syncope does seem to be something that WWW is supposed to account for.

Will add support for it.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Thanks.

It's like a faster and more accurate version of the Perseus word study tool.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

The old version of Words that I used to use could deal with "ambulasse" and those types, but it wasn't able to deal with the rarer syncopations like "surrexe". It also would interpret "amare" as a double syncopation of "amavere".:D

bathtime

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Nowadays I use the L+S dictionary on http://athirdway.com/glossa/
This website doesn't do parsed forms but I find that better because sometimes Perseus just doesn't find a certain form. Like if I remember correctly it doesn't recognize vir.

D

Deleted member 13757

It looks like the link has been removed, but here is another link.

I like to use Whitaker's Words and the L&S Latin Dictinary on Perseus; this seems to cover all basis; though Whitaker's is able to find so many words that Perseus just doesn't find. I wish I had found Whitaker's sooner; would have saved me so much trouble.

Yes sorry I had to take it down since I open sourced the code. And I am working on completely different engine right now.

"you should know the word by the company it keeps"

https://azret.github.io/latin/#schola