"World leaders"

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I need to express the concept of "world leaders" (i.e. all the various heads of state, spoken of collectively). What would be the best way to do this?

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Omnium terrarum principes: sunt qui homines appellandi sint nequissimi. :eek-2:

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I like gentium used metonymically, and maybe ductor to make it more of a calque: gentium ductores.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Apud Arpinatem nostrum scriptum videmus: orbis terrarum domini (Cic. agr. 2, 15).
Diverso quidem sensu (sed forsitan nihil obstet quin novo sensu adhibeatur).

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

orbis terrarum domini
I wonder if Milton had a similar such Latinism (or Hebraism) in mind when he wrote 'Lords of the World besides', not the he couldn't have come up with it on his own.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Num necesse sit nescio, sed si perspicue dicere volumus eos qui singulas terras regunt neque eos qui totum orbem, forsitan dicere liceat diversarum terrarum principes.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions! :)

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The reference was wrong. Here is the correct excerpt:
Suet. Ner. 36_1 dixit:
Nec minore saevitia foris et in exteros grassatus est. Stella crinita, quae summis potestatibus exitium portendere vulgo putatur, per continuas noctes oriri coeperat

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Dux mundi.
I thought about that, but to me that implies that the person/people in question are leaders of the entire world, whereas I meant more like individual heads of state.

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Dux mundi.
to me that implies that the person/people in question are leaders of the entire world, whereas I meant more like individual heads of state.
Yeah, and in addition to that dux is a very general term for "leader", whereas if you want to relate the modern sense of "heads of state", you might have to get a bit creative; no single existing term seems able to convey that meaning. I think of a modern head of state more in terms of being an administrative and political leader, a chief executive, than a "ruler" per se. With this in mind, you might have praefecti politiarum ("those who have been put in charge of the states")? Alternatively, you might have principes politiarum (saeculores). If you don't mind a Late Latin term, you might have officiarii principales politiarum.

As an analogy to the foergoing, note that one of the official Latin titles of the British monarch is Consortionis Populorum Princeps, which is officially translated as "Head of the Commonwealth", more literally "Head of the Community of Peoples".

Last edited: