You know you're a Latin junkie when...

Jungle Dweller

When you want to convert/translate every single modern word into Latin and you usually pick up computer part or software for this job first.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I think he understood "software for this job" to mean that you used translation computer software (like Google Translate is) to do the translation job. But you actually meant that you tried to translate names of computer software into Latin, right?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I never visit church (unless as a random visitor when other people are not present), but today on our Day of the Dead I went to see the Mozart's Requiem sung and played by approximately 4 choirs (full orchestra, soloists etc.). It was in a 12th-14th century Gothic church/temple in the center of this city and it was just magical! I had printed the lyrics to myself (just in Latin of course) and read along (I remember the big part of Requiem by heart, but still: Mozart has his own order and some parts are not present in the original Gregorian Requiem, as far as I know). I had printed more copies and I handled it to some nice ladies sitting on the left and right to me and they looked quite glad :)

All the giant church was packed with people at the end.

I managed to sit on some chairs that were posited right in the middle between the church benches (because they were nearly all taken or the places were reserved for somebody who hadn't come yet and I wanted to sit somewhere in the front to have a good view of the choirs, soloists and the orchestra) and thus I managed to sit in the very middle of the church and almost in the front line (in the second line, to be honest). The first line was reserved for some VIP that came later. Only that one chair in front of me was still vacated until in the last minute some very very tall person came, he came from the front of the Church, he knelt when passing the crosss and sat in front of me. That seemed comical for a while that the tallest person would sit right in front of me, but it wasn't such a problem, I just moved the chair a bit to the side. But later on I learnt when the priest was introducing the choirs that the person was the famous Czech Archbishop Jan Graubner I knew just from the TV :D Probably the most important VIP in the whole building, haha (also a potential cardinal at some time).

The final applause took a few seconds to start because it seemed that not so many people similarly as me knew exactly both what was being sung and when it finished. But when it started it was really strong, it took 5 minutes and in the final minutes I spotted that some random persons somewhere were standing so being very hesitant I tried to do what I wanted to do all along, I very slowly stood up and immediately it caught up and suddenly everybody did. So a standing ovation at the end :D

I really like the most the Sequentia (Diēs īrae, diēs illa) and cōnfūtātīs maledictīs - when that was played, I just closed my eyes... and it all resonated so much through the building made of stone... I had never thought I would hear it like that.

Certainly one of the best experiences I had in very very long time! Recently, I started to play casually on piano a bit since in the mall which is situated very very close to where I live (it was built just 3 years ago and it happens the biggest mall in the city, haha) there is a public piano (in the central and western Europe this is now quite casual in train station/airports/malls - you can find many 'concerts' like that on Youtube if you search for "public piano") to which you can just sit and play and random people sit on the chairs behind and listen... and that enchanted me so much that I started to pursue that dream I had of learning it once and started to do so. I acquired some Yamaha electronic keyboard to train where I have nothing else, I use occasional other piano that my mother has in my original home... etc. But I digress from the Latin topic (I spoke a bit about this in the most recent Latin oral conversation) :D But I thought I should be training now playing some piano arrangement of the Sequentia of the Requiem (the famous Diēs Īrae, Diēs Illa part...), seems as a good idea :p

(ah, well, I inserted this paragraph only because I thought someone [me winks on Callaina] would get interested :- D)

Here's the church (this city is btw. really awesome there is a giant church like this every 100-200 meters - churches, cathedrals all the way from Gothic to Renaissance... and on my way back I passed by the statues of Apollo, Arion with his Dolphin, Neptunus, Juppiter :D). The church is called Kostel Svatého Mořice - Ecclēsia Mauritī Sanctī:

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

:hat: a doff of my cap to you, sir

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Thanks :p I was a little bit worried of that meeting, since he's like a reincarnation of Cicero: worried that my Latin had gotten rusty, that I wouldn't be good enough, it turned out that my frequent talks with some friends I have kept my skills in some usable form, as it seems :D

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It must be a massive affirmation of the years of hard work you have put into Latin to be able to hold your own with a man like Wilfried Stroh. As yet I can only dream...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

It must be a massive affirmation of the years of hard work you have put into Latin to be able to hold your own with a man like Wilfried Stroh. As yet I can only dream...
I still can't really believe it happened. But after it did, the teacher who invited me there (because the event was a translation of Stroh's famous book to Czech by that teacher) so there was somebody who could speak Latin with him somewhat well (the teachers are able, but they don't really do it, are a bit uncertain, don't compose Latin so often, never practice it, etc.), after the event the teacher just hugged me and thanked me that I came there and did that :) Because I'm not officially part of the department anymore, I hadn't seen the teachers maybe for almost 3 years so I was "a guest" there too in a way, heh.
^Also that teacher is my old teacher of Greek (ille barbātus et quī vetustior est in hīs photogrammatīs)

We showed him the city, had lunch with him, attended then his lecture and so on and so on :)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Is that 'Latein ist tot, lang lebe Latein'? I'd love to read that; maybe someone will translate it into Latin or even English sometime.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Is that 'Latein ist tot, lang lebe Latein'? I'd love to read that; maybe someone will translate it into Latin or even English sometime.
Yep :) He said that it was translated to many language, also told us the reasons why it didn't come out in Italian yet, but that nobody yet translated it to English. I was about to say that I wouldn't mind helping (even though it seemed a bit arrogant given that I'm not a native speaker and my English looks really well only after copious and copious rereadings and books should be ideally translated by the speakers of the target language), but then I realized that the reason I hadn't read his book yet even though I had been really curious about it for a veeery long time was because I knew quite no German :) So I'm not really the most apt person for any translation, hahaha. (Unless one would translate a translation of a translation, but that would come into quite interesting perversions, I suppose)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

He said that it was translated to many language [...] but that nobody yet translated to English.
That's weird. You'd think English would be the first language a book would be translated into nowadays.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

That's weird. You'd think English would be the first language a book would be translated into nowadays.
Yeah, but even like that it was a bestselller (at least in Germany, but probably also in all those countries it was translated to), as he said "liber vēnālissimus fuit, vulgō 'bestseller'" (and then he also said it in German :D) and had to be reprinted due to a massive demand. ^ well, in fact, here he spoke about other book, not of his own, he's quite modest, but I just quoted that for the Latin term :p

Oh btw. in my last message I talked about ideal translators and haven't realized you would be an exception I would deem so to be in what I described, but if you haven't noticed it, don't bother with this point :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh btw. in my last message I talked about ideal translators and haven't realized you wold be an exception I would deem so to be in what I described, but if you haven't noticed it, don't bother with this point :D
I did notice it, and I know you're probably right that ideally one should translate into one's native tongue (I think it's a rather commonly accepted view). I don't know if I'm any exception at all, really, it's just that circumstances have made it so that I've got more opportunities to translate into English, even if I don't do it as well as a native speaker would.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

(Well, depends what native speaker, lol, but here I implied a native speaker who was a good Latinist as well, of course.)

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I received a Neo-Latin book from Valahfridus (pronounced Valāfridus with the accent and length on ā, as he taught me, not on "ī" as multī dīcunt) named "Dē Sīmiā"! How apt. :D (or Dē Sīmiā Heidelbergiēnsī)

(Because his lecture was on books for children from antiquity to now, talking also about some books that were only later thought that had been originally made for children)

Photo2636.jpg
Photo2637.jpg
Photo2639.jpg

(click to zoom)