Spoken Latin

A

Anonymous

How many people here are interested in actually speaking Latin? I should also ask who of you do speak Latin on a regular basis or with a club?

I am a Project Manager with Microsoft (and also a classics enthusiast) and have been contacted by a group of Latinists from the University of California to help develop a comprehensive spoken Latin program. Our initial discussions have been exceedingly informative and exciting, but I wanted to determine from a large forum such as this whether there is interest, and any thoughts you might have on a program for spoken Latin.

The concept as it stands now consists of audio and written exercises which would allow any student to learn to read, write and speak Latin, with the emphasis being on developing Latin at as a contemporary, spoken language.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Magda

I have read that the way Latin is pronounsed nowadays is very influenced by the native language of the speakers (thus, Italians don't pronounse Latin in the same way Americans do). This has been a problem during the 2nd Vatican Council for example. All the discussions were in Latin, but they had some difficultied to understand each other.

But it sounds as a good idea to develope a program so that people actually can learn to speak latin properly.

Leonidas

Salve quidnovi!

I can only speak for myself of course, but I think the program sounds very interesting. I would really like to know why you have not received more enthusiasm in this thread so far, I really, really hope you do not give up! First of all, I think Latin will only become more and more popular. Secondly, speaking and listening greatly enhances the learning of any language (even though you might not be interested in speaking it). Thirdly, it would be a great contribution to the "Living Latin movement".

I would just like to air my personal opinion. I have very little knowledge of Latin, but I use much time trying to learn more. I hope I will be able to buy your program in the future!

Just out of curiosity: You will use Restored Pronunciation, or...?

Leonidas

A

Anonymous

Multas Gratias!

Multas gratias, Magda et Leonidas!

Thank you both for your posts. I agree with you, Leonidas, I had hoped to see a greater response. It is somewhat indicative of the spoken Latin movement. My colleagues and I have been trying to put our finger on the pulse of the living Latin movement and there are certainly a lot of people who are interested in learning, but it seems that that attitude changes when confronted with the likelihood of actually having to spend some time to do it. But I also think that a greater problem is that there is a greater lack of resources than interest.

Nevertheless, we are moving ahead diligently with the project. Your suggestions/comments on pronunciation are noted. We primarily use a later Latin pronunciation, but don't be surprised to see several pronunciations in action. It is tantamount that we all develop the skills necessary to be able to understand and use whichever pronunciation best suits the circumstances.

A

Anonymous

Interest in spoken Latin:

I for one am very interested. I have studied Latin sporadically, both in classes and on my own through self-study books, but I never seem to make any progress. Part of this, of course, is due to my letting it slide for quite a while, then coming back to it and having to review over and over again. But I've become convinced that another major factor is that I have never once approached Latin as a spoken language. I am a native speaker of American English, and am fluent in French and Spanish. I can get by in brief conversations in German and have studied Russian, Albanian Arabic and Hebrew. In all of the last four mentioned, i can at least say basic greetings and for those written in non-Roman characters, I can sound out words fairly well. All of my studies in any language except Latin were geared toward the four basic language learning skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking, with a heavy emphasis on speaking.

I stumbled upon this fabulous forum by searching "spoken Latin" on Google and I'm so glad I've found people who are interested in speaking Latin. I'm assuming Forum members are from all over the world. I currently live in New York, U.S. Would anyone consider participating in regular online voice chats using Skype or a similar application? I have had excellent luck with Skype for language practice in the past but am open to other voice over IP applications if others prefer a different one.

Best,
Mattheus

metrodorus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hello Quidnovi,

From your comment, you seem to be unaware of the massive growth in online Latin audio that has occurred over the past 2 years . You mentioned a 'lack' or resources for oral Latin. That may have been true 2 years ago, but it is no longer true.....Latinum has over 1 000 audio episodes available......

There is also a large collection of audio on Stoa.

Laura Gibbs has produced thousands of audio resources as well.

Johan Winge keeps a good resource page of all the high quality spoken Latin available online in the restored Classical pronunciation. There is a lot of it, more every week.

Lexington are now producing videos of Latin conversation.

Then we have the new resource, Scorpio Martianvs, regular video news broadcasts in good quality Latin, in correct restored classical pronunciation.
Most of the links to this material can be found linked to on my Latin Links page:
http://www.e.millner.btinternet.co.uk/l ... links.html
I would also strongly advise you to stick to restored classical pronunciation for anything you do, as this is, increasingly, the Academic norm in pronunciation - it certainly is the pronunciation that prevails in the USA and the UK in the academic world, and increasingly so elsewhere.

I am really keen to see more resources produced, we need much, much more high quality material - but I would strongly suggest you stick to Restored Classical pronunciation. Do you have a website yet, where you are publishing resources?

A

Anonymous

I see that this was posted a year ago. However so, if what I offer may still be of some import, I would be quite interested in a forum or this program developed for oral use of Latin. I am currently a Student Teacher seeking my Teacher's Certification in Latin and do, as best as I can, use oral Latin as I teach the language. Thus, not only I would be interested in this, but so would my students who have to deal with this concept in their classroom.

Thanks

Chamaeleo

metrodorus dixit:
Also, Latinum http://latinum.mypodcast.com was set up to teach conversational Latin - most episodes have had around 5 000 downloads since the podcast went live in 2007, and over 4 .3 million episodes have been downloaded in total.
Sounds like you’re really keen on Latinum, Evan. It must be good.

Oh, hang on... :mrgreen:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Thanks to that website I have tremendously increased my vocabulary and speaking skills. Utinam aliquem latine loquentem invenirem... :(

Chamaeleo

I’ve tried Meebo, but there’s no one there. :(

Matticus

metrodorus dixit:
In London we have 2 Latin language groups, so two meetings per month. Many other cities have similar things - and although there are often only 2 people at meetings, that is all that is needed for a conversation to take place.
Do you have any more details? I live not far from London and, not knowing a single other person with an interest in the language, this might be useful.

metrodorus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

If you pop into the locutorium on Schola, you will bump into people from time to time, but you need to be persistent, and hang around. Not many regularly use the meebo chatroom on the front page of Schola.
There is also my new venture over on Youtube, which I started in August: an experimental Latin-in-Latin course.
http://www.youtube.com/user/evan1965

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Metrodorus, you might want to post the video in the Listen to Latin forum :)

metrodorus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi Akela, I'm not sure how to do that - do you mean post a link? So far, there are over 260 videos in the course, I expect there will be over a thousand when it is completed.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Hm, you could post a couple wrapped in the youtube tags and then a link to the place to find the rest.

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I know it's been a while since this thread was started, but I feel I must contribute. This is indeed a worthy project! I firmly believe Latin should be taught as more than a mere cryptology for decoding ancient texts. Limiting the use of the language in that way is a large part of what contributes to its perception as a dry, obsolete field of study. In my own way, I've been working to show how new life might be breathed into Latin, mostly using contemporary pop culture as a medium.

How do you feel about SUNG Latin? I specialize in the adaptation of modern song lyrics into singable Latin, particularly Disney due to its widespread familiarity and appeal to children. On my own YouTube channel, I have a version of "A Whole New World" from Aladdin dubbed in Latin by a couple of aspiring singers. I'd have more, but it's exceedingly difficult to find people with both the vocal talent and the interest in Latin to perform the songs I translate. Perhaps if your spoken Latin project gains ground, that will change. One can always hope!