Languages We Speak

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I bet he must have an IQ of about 180... ;)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Fieri potest.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

Polish, probably, lol
I actually became fluent in a very rude form of that frightfull tongue as a result of an otherwise unprofitable work experience. Speaking it felt like changing gears in a rusty old bus; and yet all of that horrible hissing and sushing and sputtering left me craving a knowledge of Staroslov. Ancient languages have always held more of an interest for me.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oh .... thanks for that description, lol. I think Czech is even worse in that aspect.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Primum te hercle intellexi!

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

And I actually became fluent in a grammatically inconsistent and full-of-weird-vowels and bizarre orthography of a language called modern Anglo-Saxon hahaha

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

But due to all that "horrible hissing, shushing, and sputtering", there is a rumor going around that Slavs are better equipped to learn foreign tongues than others, on account of the relative "softness" of their speech and pliancy of tongue.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

And I actually became fluent in a grammatically inconsistent and full-of-weird-vowels and bizarre orthography of a language called modern Anglo-Saxon hahaha
It may have occupy'd me in bit of study, but I am nonethless unwilling to count Anglo Saxon separately from my mother tongue. English is a continuum to me, all of it ever present.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It may have occupy'd me in bit of study, but I am nonethless unwilling to count Anglo Saxon separately from my mother tongue. English is a continuum to me, all of it ever present.
I hope you won't think I'm being gratuitously disputative, because really I'm just curious, but do you see Old French (Norman) and the contribution from the Scandinavian languages, for example, as equally valid and ever-present parts of that continuum?

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

Yes, but not in the same sense, as their cointributions to English, important as they were, were for the most part only contributions of vocabulary.

Curious Master

In the light of all this, sorry for my language, dick measuring I have to contribute with my list of known languages:

* Ansi C
* C++
* Java
* PHP
* English
* Ruby
* Assembly Language
* Pascal
* Pike
* Swedish
* Foul language
* SQL
* PL/SQL
* Bash
* PCL 5
* Danish
* Bourne Shell
* German
* Ksh
* Csh
* Zshell
* Perl
* Awk
* Norwegian
* Basic
* Javascript
* Postscript
* Python
* Ruby
* TCL
* ... and working with all the above languages makes me an expert in Foul Language ;)

And I've probably forgot to mention a few others that I've come accross. Throw me any other language from my kind of world and I will be able to read and understand it. Beat that if you can! ;)

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

You've included several programming, scripting, and other computer languages, but I believe the original language list consisted of only spoken languages. Your list is interesting, nonetheless. ;)

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Consentio...

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Why don't we create another thread for all this derailing of poor thread? Moderators?
Merged and moved to appropriate thread.

I primarily speak English. I can speak French almost fluently, but I can read it much better. I can read basic Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Besides French which is my mother tongue, I know English and Latin at a good level, and I manage in Spanish. I've recently started learning Ancient Greek, but I really can't count it yet. ;) Many people here beat me.

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

English, German, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, in descending order of speaking proficiency. I've been doing Arabic for about a year, so I can do a little of that, too, but most of it is Modern Standard, which isn't actually spoken as a mother tongue by anybody.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

English, German, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, in descending order of speaking proficiency.
Aren't you forgetting a few ones (Latin, French, Spanish, Greek...)? Or are you only mentioning those you feel (to some extent) "fluent" in?

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Aren't you forgetting a few ones (Latin, French, Spanish, Greek...)? Or are you only mentioning those you feel (to some extent) "fluent" in?

Oh, I took the title of the thread at its word: "languages we speak" :p

It's also true that my Greek and French are rather too rudimentary for me to qualify as proficient in them either. On the other hand, I allowed myself to count Mandarin as a language I "spoke"; if literacy were factored in, I wouldn't be able to count Chinese at all.

By the way, Aurifex's command of Chinese is astonishingly impressive. He ran circles around me in the Chinese thread with his characters :eek: