Live today like theres no tomorrow

missgrip

Hi all.
I have really tryed to translate a sentence from english to latin, but unfortunately I have not found any good answers :( . So I hope for better luck here, please help me.

The sentence I want to translate is:
Live today like theres no tomorrow!

Im very grateful for answers!
Thanks
Love/ Amanda ;)

Chamaeleo

Re: translation please!

When people ask for translations of this sort, I always say that the best Latin equivalent is no doubt ‘carpe diem qvam minĭmum credŭla postĕrō’ — ‘seize the day, believing as little as possible in tomorrow’.

However, a more literal translation of your phrase would be something along the lines of ‘Vīve hodiē qvasī crāstinus nōn venīret’. I'm not sure it would have made much sense to a Roman, though.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

For me, Carpe diem (Seize the day) is the best translation, since it is much simpler, better known, and less redundant.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yes, but Chamæleo provided Horace's full verse verbatim, a very famous one indeed. People at large have only remembered the first two words, forgetting/ignoring the rest.

missgrip

mattheus dixit:
Yes, but Chamæleo provided Horace's full verse verbatim, a very famous one indeed. People at large have only remembered the first two words, forgetting/ignoring the rest.
Well that is the rest? "Carpe diem..?" This will be a tattoo around my wrist, so it cant be to many words.

(please excuse my bad english)

Love/ MissGrip

Chamaeleo

It's the following four words.

missgrip

CHAMÆLEO dixit:
It's the following four words.
Thank you! You seem like a learned guy. Do you have any proposals of a good phrase to have around a wrist?

Love/MissGrip

Chamaeleo

I think that CARPE·DIEM·QVAM·MINIMVM·CREDVLA·POSTERO is as good as any, and it certainly expresses your original sentiment.

If you wanted to make, say, a political statement, you could go for VBI·SOLITVDINEM·FACIVNT·PACEM·APPELLANT, which basically means ‘They kill until there's nobody left, and call that “peace”.’

missgrip

CHAMÆLEO dixit:
I think that CARPE·DIEM·QVAM·MINIMVM·CREDVLA·POSTERO is as good as any, and it certainly expresses your original sentiment.

If you wanted to make, say, a political statement, you could go for VBI·SOLITVDINEM·FACIVNT·PACEM·APPELLANT, which basically means ‘They kill until there's nobody left, and call that “peace”.’
is it CREDVLA or credula?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

The former is used for authentic Roman writing (pure capitals), while the latter is only used with lowercased writing.

kaveh

Sorry for bumping but I've found this traslation as well. what you guys thik if other?

" Age vitam hodie tamquam crastinium non veniat "
I'm after the same translation as well for a tattoo.

Best regards

mina kuttner

what is the difference between carissima and carrisime
One is dear for a female, the other addresses a masculine; am I right?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

what is the difference between carissima and carrisime
One is dear for a female, the other addresses a masculine; am I right?
Carissima is for a female, and carissime for a male, yes. They mean "very dear" or "dearest", when you're directly addressing a person by that name as in say, "I love you, my dearest". But what's the connection with the subject of this thread? o_O