Clarifying a latin term

shaunalumpkin

Hello I am needing some guidance on Latin. We are rebranding our record label and we are passionate about giving back to the community. We have found the term Donandi and like it for our record label. We would be called Donandi Records. I can not find much online to help me see if this is an "ok" way to use this term for giving. What I find online is this:
Animus donandi a´nēmūs dōnan´dē . â´nimus dōnân´dī. n. “Intention to give.”An intention to give gratuitously; an intention to gift something to another.
If we like the name "Donandi" is it ok to just use this word and in a sense it still mean "giving" ?
In other words if we drop the Animus and just go with Donandi is it still ok to use it?
Thank you for your help.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

Donandi means "of giving" and isn't very meaningful on its own. Now, if you're really attached to that word, I guess that by stretching things slightly Donandi Records could be interpreted as a mixed-language phrase meaning "the records of giving" and make a modicum of sense.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I think animus donandi is an attempt (and not a great one at that) to render the fixed English expression 'the spirit of giving', which we hear a lot around the Christmas season.

As to whether it's okay to use on its own, the industrial standard tells me that the answer is 'yes'. Everyone does this, willy-nilly. Look at the company name ASUS (pronounced like 'ace' + '(m)oose'), which is just a weirdo clipping of the name 'Pegasus'. I can't think of other examples just now, but they're out there in droves.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Apparently animus donandi is Lawyer Latin: the intent of giving. I would think there's a term for actual giving but I could not find it.