Duolingo

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

This will hardly be of great interest to the mighty linguists on the forum, but it might be of interest to the plodders like me.

It always bothers me that I never studied German, nor do I have the time to begin a proper study of it just now. I've started German with Duolingo more or less as a wee pastime, to make use of odd moments and get some kind of acquaintance with German sounds and grammar while awaiting the glorious day of getting to grips with a German grammar! :rolleyes:

https://www.duolingo.com/

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It always bothers me that I never studied German, nor do I have the time to begin a proper study of it just now. I've started German with Duolingo more or less as a wee pastime, to make use of odd moments and get some kind of acquaintance with German sounds and grammar while awaiting the glorious day of getting to grips with a German grammar! :rolleyes:
I feel the same way about French. I think I may give it a try as well.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Thanks. Started with some German.

Gendered articles, ah.

Hawkwood

• Civis

The Pontiff keeps pipping me to third place in this French Leaderboard I'm part of. I'm sure he has his eye on bronze. Not on my watch, fella.

Screenshot_20170604-210039.png

Hawkwood

• Civis

Yeah no worries. The groups don't serve much of a purpose on Duolingo anyway, I think they're there so you can monitor your progress against others.

Hawkwood

• Civis

I cannot press on until all behind me is up to date. It's a good system as I spend most my time going over what I've already done prior to starting a new lesson, which works for me.

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Hello my polyglot friends, esp. Terry S. and Hawkwood! I'm having a competition on Duolingo next week (the 2nd to the 9th) with a few friends I know from this forum, other language forums, real-life, etc. to see who can get the most points over the course of one week. You can study whichever language you want. If you're like me, life tends to get in the way of language learning after the initial excitement so nothing like a bit of competition to keep the excitement going! Initially, it was just going be an informal competition between me and an old member of this forum, but I mentioned it to a few others and it's turned into quite an event!

If you're interested in joining, send me a private message and I will add you to the Duolingo group as well as the accompanying Skype group for chatting. We may even wager some lingots!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I am somewhat interested, but if we are not all studying the same language, how would the Skype chats go?

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I am somewhat interested, but if we are not all studying the same language, how would the Skype chats go?
Hi Terry! The Skype chat is there more for a sense of camaraderie. I got the idea back when I used to compete in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). There was a Skype group for my region, and although we were each writing completely different stories, we would use the Skype forum to chat and see who could write more in an hour. So same sort of principle with the Duolingo competition: we can get to know each other, talk about common issues and compete to see who can get more points in their language (after all, competition isn't quite as fun if you don't know the other people at all).

And if you are learning German as you indicated in this thread, then there is another guy in the group who is as well.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Unfortunately I gave-up on trying to learn another language. I'm just about managing a few main hobbies now since starting this new job anyway. Good luck though.