Forum Question

lat192

Dear Moderator,

I am an infrequent user of this site who has, on occasion, posted some of my Latin translation questions. From time to time I have been notified that my question has been posted incorrectly. I am planning on posting more frequently and I would like to avoid this mistake in the future. I have already read the FAQ before making this post. So, for example, for the foreseeable future, I will be posting questions related to my attempts to translate the Aeneid literally into English. I will not be posting my translation for critique; rather, I will be sharing my concerns about the Latin grammar I encounter when making my translation. So I know I should go to the Latin to English section, beyond that what else can you suggest. Should I make only one thread and keeping posting to it with each new question? Will that generate the same level of response as a new thread each time I have a new question? Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I will not be posting my translation for critique; rather, I will be sharing my concerns about the Latin grammar I encounter when making my translation.
In that case, perhaps the "Latin Grammar Questions" section would be more appropriate.
Should I make only one thread and keeping posting to it with each new question? Will that generate the same level of response as a new thread each time I have a new question?
I think you may get more responses if you post each question in a separate thread (unless, of course, one question is really closely related to another). Some people (at any rate I know I do) tend to keep away from threads that are already very long, because they think it would be too much to read at a time. Thus, if you create only one thread, the more it grows, the less likely it will become that new people will jump in to comment.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

For where to post: yeah, either grammar or "Reading Latin".

For how to post: I guess it depends on how many questions you'll have and how often you'll post. Personally, I'd keep it all in one thread (separating by book, at most). Every time you post in a thread, it gets bumped up to the top of the subforum. And if someone can't take the five seconds to find the most recent post, well, not sure what to say. But it's up to you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

And if someone can't take the five seconds to find the most recent post, well, not sure what to say. But it's up to you.
Well, sometimes it takes more than just reading the most recent post to follow what's going on in a thread. So when you see that a huge thread is there, you don't know if reading the most recent post will suffice or if you'll have to read dozens of post and review it all, and you may just choose to keep away altogether.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Well, sometimes it takes more than just reading the most recent post to follow what's going on in a thread. So when you see that a huge thread is there, you don't know if reading the most recent post will suffice or if you'll have to read dozens of post and review it all, and you may just choose to keep away altogether.
Eh. That's more a problem of threads getting way off-topic. And a thread with only one question could also have dozens of replies to sift through.

I'd the say the hassle is overblown, especially on a forum as esoteric as this. But the OP can do as he chooses.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

And a thread with only one question could also have dozens of replies to sift through.
That's true; but it will happen all the more if many questions are posted in one thread.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

I guess my point is that sifting will most often not be needed, and if it is, the time required for said sifting is negligible. And I think it's much neater to have one dedicated thread instead of five, ten, twenty threads strewn about (which depends on how often OP posts).