Greek forum

Schatzl

As I understood that, a Greek section or subforum was suggested rather than a
quite different forum with different registration. ​ Are you planning to take
up Greek, too?
Me? no, I was just looking through the forum and this thread caught my eye. then that idea came to me, along with a banner similar to this forum.

Schatzl

(sorry about the double post) Latin can be confusing enough, but greek? there's a reason I use the expression "it's all Greek to me" a lot more than some of my friends.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

In fact the expression probably traces to the ages when the monks in the monasteries in the scriptoria were rewriting the Latin works and sometimes hit upon a Greek phrase (and almost nobody in that time in the Western Europe understood the classical greek) and they just wrote something as "Graeca sunt ergo non leguntur" :p (but I have no proof the English saying comes from that, but on the other hand... why not).

Edit: I'm not sure this happened everytime in those ages during the copying/rewriting... or maybe just in some monasteries. It is something I've heard from my teacher.

Schatzl

In fact the expression probably traces to the ages where the monks in the monasteries in the scriptoria were rewriting the Latin works and sometimes hit upon a Greek phrase (and almost nobody that that time in the Western Europe understood the classical greek) and they just wrote something as "Graeca sunt ergo non leguntur" :p (but I have no proof the English saying comes from that, but on the other hand... why not).

Edit: I'm not sure this happened everytime in those ages during the copying/rewriting... or maybe just in some monasteries. It is something I've heard from my teacher.
About the why not, you're probably right, but still, if it was a teacher that said it then I don't see any reason to say he or she is wrong! :)