How Richard III May Have Spoken

Hawkwood

• Civis

I'd love to go to Edinburgh then up to Sterling then on into Scone then across to Lomond, following in Longshanks footsteps (obviously keep this revelation a secret from my 'buddies' as I know some of those Scots have long memories. Actually there's so many places of interest up north for me. Never been passed Manchester.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I'd love to go to Edinburgh then up to Sterling then on into Scone then across to Lomond, following in Longshanks footsteps (obviously keep this revelation a secret from my 'buddies' as I know some of those Scots have long memories. Actually there's so many places of interest up north for me. Never been passed Manchester.
If you have never been up that way before, I'd recommend taking a bus (or driving, but you'll see less) from Carlisle to Glasgow. That will take you straight through Clydesdale and past the Lead Hills to the west. The thing that strikes me most is the geographical similarity of Cumbria and Clydesdale, keeping in mind that Cumbria was part of Scotland until William I went on his First Northern Tour. In Glasgow one can see the only pre-Reformation Gothic cathedral in the country still standing, weep over the nearby demolished fifteenth century university (1451), and walk down High Street to the City Centre and gawk at the Tolbooth Steeple for a while. Then it's a train to Stirling and its castle, which is better than Edinburgh's in my unhumble opinion. Rather than going to Edinburgh straight away, a well worthwhile detour is called for, to St. Andrew's. There you have Scotland's oldest university (1411) and can weep once again, this time at the sight of the surviving gable end of the nation's mother church, St. Andrew's Cathedral, destroyed by the ding-them-dooners at the Scottish Reformation. BTW Johnson didn't weep; he cursed them for their barbarity! Then it's over the Firth and into Edinburgh for a peek at the Scottish Crown Jewels in the castle and reliving favourite scenes from Trainspotting. I'd recommend a train to Newcastle from there. The train gives a good view of what's to be seen.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Forgot to say, Loch Lomond is ok, but if you live in England and have seen the Lake District, there's no great surprise in store. Vice versa is also true.

Hawkwood

• Civis

If you have never been up that way before, I'd recommend taking a bus (or driving, but you'll see less) from Carlisle to Glasgow. That will take you straight through Clydesdale and past the Lead Hills to the west. The thing that strikes me most is the geographical similarity of Cumbria and Clydesdale, keeping in mind that Cumbria was part of Scotland until William I went on his First Northern Tour. In Glasgow one can see the only pre-Reformation Gothic cathedral in the country still standing, weep over the nearby demolished fifteenth century university (1451), and walk down High Street to the City Centre and gawk at the Tolbooth Steeple for a while. Then it's a train to Stirling and its castle, which is better than Edinburgh's in my unhumble opinion. Rather than going to Edinburgh straight away, a well worthwhile detour is called for, to St. Andrew's. There you have Scotland's oldest university (1411) and can weep once again, this time at the sight of the surviving gable end of the nation's mother church, St. Andrew's Cathedral, destroyed by the ding-them-dooners at the Scottish Reformation. BTW Johnson didn't weep; he cursed them for their barbarity! Then it's over the Firth and into Edinburgh for a peek at the Scottish Crown Jewels in the castle and reliving favourite scenes from Trainspotting. I'd recommend a train to Newcastle from there. The train gives a good view of what's to be seen.

Sounds nice. Sterling is somewhere I'd love to go, for obvious reasons. Where are you from again (bought up)? If you don't mind me asking. I'm sure you've said before but it's slipped my mind.