Irish (Gaeilge)

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

That can wait till later. Instead, listen to how native speakers express themselves in everyday matters.
Sound advice when learning any language, which 15-20 years ago would have been anathema in language-learning circles, because of the Communicative Approach which was then in vogue. There seems to be a shift toward the Comprehensible Input method these days.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Caveat: if you feel tempted to go for online practice sessions e.g. iTalki, make sure that the tutor is a native speaker from Conamara. I've listened to some of the intro videos on offer and they're feckin awful: fluent speakers of some hybrid language they made up themselves.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Interesting, by the way, about the breakup of the dialect continuum. I imagine linguists must be all over this in that it's a chance to watch dialect move apart from each other in real time, so to speak.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Thanks Terry, I have passed it on :)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Maith thú! :mrgreen:

If s/he would prefer a different dialect let me know and I'll do what I can.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

By the way, one of the things I like about Irish and Scottish Gaelic is the same thing I like about French: how they look in writing.
It does indeed look pretty, but the pronunciation has always been a great mystery for me....

"for though there has been one Official Standard of Irish spelling since 1945, there is as yet no standard pronunciation. No one dialect, however, has established itself as socially superior. A choice must be made."
And now it has become even more of a mystery.

Listen to programmes from Conamara on Raidió na Gaeltachta https://www.rte.ie/radio/rnag/
But thanks to this I have finally the pleasure of hearing some Irish Gaelic!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I'm hoping this works, since my lack of IT skills is legendary. I've tried to post a series of six videos privately on my YouTube channel. I'm doing it privately since the originals, which I downloaded ages ago, were removed. I guess there is some copyright issue.

The videos themselves, present a light-heated but very informative history of the Irish language. The presenter is the well-known and respected Irish scholar and author, Alan Titley.

Last edited:

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Even if you have no interest in the subject, could someone...anyone! please let me know if these are accessible? :)

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

No problem playing them on my side!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Accessible and fascinating! Among other things, I'm intrigued with the way he tilts his head from side to side.