Latin of the Crusades

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'm gathering on the Latin in the Crusader's time.
Just looking for more information on it as a whole; the writing style, the vocabulary, and its roots.

Iustitia suum cuique distribuit.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

People didn't speak Latin at that time. The accounts are written in Latin. Try the Gesta Francorum, which will give you an idea of the level of knowledge of one of the writers.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Thanks.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

It was written in the 12 century, and details the First Crusade.

I found another 11th century writer, Marianus Scotus:

Screenshot (47).png

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

There are four accounts of the first crusade if I remember correctly.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Do you recall the names?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica, may you move this thread to "Reading Latin" or a more appropriate thread?
As Cinefactus said, Latin wasn't really spoken during these times, and was definitely not in the same usage as other time periods.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

William of Tyre was a historian of the Crusades. His work can be read here: http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/williamtyre.html

According to Wikipedia, his Latin is reputed to be particularly good (i.e. particularly close to classical Latin) compared to the standards of his time, and, having read him, I think it's probably true. Now, he does use some medieval Latin constructions and vocabulary. I found one or two downright monstrosities in his work, but overall, his Latin is good.

As for Latin being spoken in those times or not, I think it must have been spoken as a lingua franca among the clergy and educated people (who often were clergy...) but it wasn't spoken as a native language.

I'll move the thread as requested.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

As for Latin being spoken in those times or not, I think it must have been spoken as a lingua franca among the clergy
Yes, I wagered that too. It would still be used with liturgical and ecclesiastical matters; thus you can see My reasoning in putting it in speaking Latin. Although the Latin used at this time shouldn't be classified as "Crusader".

William of Tyre was a historian of the Crusades. His work can be read here: http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/williamtyre.html

I'll move the thread as requested.

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.16.15 AM.png

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It has been a long time since I looked into it, but I think also Fulcher of Châtres, Robertus Monachus, Baldricus Dolensis and Albert of Aix.

Rovi

Caffaro participated in the First Crusade and wrote De liberatione civitatum orientis which I have failed find; I'd gladly accept if you could.
He is also famous for writing the official chronicle of the Republic Genova. The chronicle was continued by the successor chroniclers. He died in 1164, so up to that point he was a crusader and wrote in Latin, which suits to your attention.
Here is the famous Gesta Francorum, dated AD 1100.
The most inclusive and longest work was written in Latin by William de Tyre. Unfortunately only survives in 13th c. French and from that French, 15th c. English translations.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The most inclusive and longest work was written in Latin by William de Tyre. Unfortunately only survives in 13th c. French and from that French, 15th c. English translations.
The original Latin survives, too. See my earlier post:
I think some of his work is lost, but the history of the First Crusade and the Crusader States survives.

Last edited:

Rovi

The original Latin survives, too. See my earlier post:
I think some of his work is lost, but the history of the First Crusade and the Crusader States survives.
Thank you so much for your attention. I just went over it and you are right. I found out where I made mistake: during the Middle Ages the French version of the text was so spread that people thought it was the original language. People were unaware of the Latin text and for that reason the French version was re-translated to Latin numerous times.
I should update myself, lagging behind in the medieval period.