Latin questions

Online_man

hello! I'm newby in this latin stuff and I got a couple of questions.
- one of the main problem in this language, that I don't know how to
pronounce the words... somebody has any site\program on latin so I can
hear this words ?
- The roman senate - "Senatus" is written sometimes like this:
SENATVS
why ? why V instead of U ?
- the word usus(expirience) is pronounced "Uses", why ?

p.s: how do I say in latin 'yes' and 'no' ? and what the word 'est' means ?
thanks anyway!

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Regarding the first question, that's a bit complex. My best suggestion is to get a Latin Grammar, they usually teach you the rules there, and any common exceptions.

Also, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spel ... nunciation for introductory material.

The second question might lead to some debate here. Some scholars say the Romans did not have the letter 'v' just an 'u'. As you know, they had to inscribe these letters into marble, or wax, and it is much easier to scratch in a V than a U.

For instance, dolui (I suffered) and amavi (I loved) are both past verbs. Written by the Romans DOLVI and AMAVI. Notice they both end in VI. What this means, well, that's up to your interpretation.

Usus, I pronounce oo-soos. This sound representation might not make sense to you, I have an unfair advantage by speaking Spanish as well. Check the Wikipedia pronunciation guide and that'll help you.

The Romans did not have words to represent these concepts, so for Yes, the usually repeated the statement (Did you go to the store? - I went to the store), or one of these: Ita vero (so in truth), Ita est, Certe, and so on.

For no, they denied the answer: Did you go to the store? - No I did not go to the store, or used Non, nullo modo or minime vero.

From non does come our current 'no' and for yes, well Dante explains it well: nam alii oc, alii si, alii vero dicunt oil.

"The word òc came from Vulgar Latin hoc ("that"), while oïl originated from Latin hoc ille ("that [is] it"). Other Romance languages derive their word for yes from the Latin sic, "thus", such as Spanish sí, Insubric sé, Italian sì, Catalan sí, or Portuguese sim." - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.

Would you look at that!

Online_man

first of all, thank you very much!
but I have to disagree with you in the usus pronunciation.
well, I found a site, that provides a small vocabulary and sayings in latin pronunciation..
http://www.learn-latin-language-softwar ... SLatin.htm
and there's a saying there:"usus magister est optimus" which means
expirience is the best teacher.
well, they pronunce it oo-ses and not oo-soos.. why ?

Vilhelmus

Latin pronunciation might be quite tricky for native english speakers. I have the privilige of having finnish as my mother tongue, and indeed latin and finnish phonology are quite similar in many ways.

@online_man: I agree with Andy. The pronunciation examples at the site you were referring to are obviously made by an english-speaker, and I can say those sound samples are far from what we consider the correct latin pronunciation in Finland. The man indeed pronounces usus as "yoo-ses", as well as magister "ma-gist-her" and optimus "op-ti-mes". Correct pronunciation would be - just like Andy said - "oo-soos", "ma-gis-ter" (t completely without aspiration) and "op-ti-moos".

In fact, you should listen to Nuntii Latini, news in latin, made by professional latinists for Finland's national broadcasting company YLE. They are available in mp3:
http://www.yleradio1.fi/nuntii/audi/
(The site is in latin/finnish but try the links "Lataa/kuuntele mp3" - that means download/listen)

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

I think the speaker is attempting (poorly) to differentiate long and short u in his ūsus = "oo-ses" pronunciation.

Online_man

Jesus! It's so confusing...
well, I wanna be sure, this (Nuntii Latini) is the right pronunciation ?
this is the way people spoke 2000 years ago in rome ?

A

Anonymous

Hi I am really sorry but I was wondering if anyone could help. I am attempting to write a letter to my son, his business is strugling at the moment, I was rather hoping to get a translation for the phrase 'Rome was not built in one day'. I do apologise if this question is in the wrong post, I am not particulary up to speed with computers but I really am desperate. Thank you

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't think anyone knows for sure how Latin was spoken 2,000 years ago. We just have a well-thought-out educated guess.