Music soothes the savage beast

A

Anonymous

anyone know how to say this in latin: "Music soothes the savage beast"

Cymro

Just for info.
The original phrase which from which this originates is in William Congreve's

Mourning Bride and is Music has charms to soothe the savage BREAST.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

That sentence doesn't make sense, actually.

B

Bitmap

Re:

eoinc dixit:
It would be something like:
Musica sedat bestiam ferum.
while we're about to bump prehistoric threads anyway, I might as well point out that it should have been feram :p

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

By the way, the original quotation is a bit different. It is from William Congreve (The Mourning Bride, a play he wrote in 1697):

"Music has charms to soothe a savage breast."

Please note that the original has "breast" and not "beast." "Beast" is a common misquotation.

In Latin, pectum ferum would be the translation of the original "savage breast." The original quotation might be put into Latin as Musica delicias habet ad pectum ferum mansuefaciendum.

B

Bitmap

JaimeB dixit:
The original quotation might be put into Latin as Musica delicias habet ad pectum ferum mansuefacere or perhaps Musica delicias habet ad pectum ferum mansuefacendum.
The first sentence does not work, you need a gerundive there ~like in your "perhaps"-version :) It has to be faciendum, though

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap dixit:
JaimeB dixit:
The original quotation might be put into Latin as Musica delicias habet ad pectum ferum mansuefacere or perhaps Musica delicias habet ad pectum ferum mansuefacendum.
The first sentence does not work, you need a gerundive there ~like in your "perhaps"-version :) It has to be faciendum, though
Thanks, ever-helpful Bitmap! I have fixed my post to reflect your correction.