Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted

steampunkwriter

Hi, I'm looking for some help with translation and pronunciation of this phrase. I am a complete beginner to Latin, and so far my research has turned up:

Nihil Verum, Omnia Licet

Could someone confirm whether this is correct or not, and give me some help with the proper pronunciation please?

The phrase essentially means that there is no absolute truth - no objective way to realize the truth of any one thing without knowing all things (which would make us something other than human), and that in an infinite universe all things are possible.

ta muchly,
Toby

Effertus Meri

I think that works (with something like facere implicit). You could alternately try nil verum omnia licita

steampunkwriter

Thanks muchly - can you clarify for me the difference in usage between licet and licita please?

And if anyone has time to provide a pronunciation that would be brilliant :)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

licet is an impersonal verb meaning "it is permitted to ..."
licita is the noun form "permitted things"

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

'omnia licet' is bold, to say the least. There's something like it in Plautus (Rudens 1216), but it's part of an ongoing joke and might be deliberately odd grammar. I haven't searched around to find any other instances... but without any context, it is bound to look like a mistake, whatever intelligent intention. I certainly prefer 'omnia licita' or 'omnia permissa'.