Our own email service: [email protected] or....

Which email address would you prefer?

• Total voters

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

For a while already I've been thinking of setting up an email service for our members using the forum domain name, e.g., [email protected].

I first considered installing the software myself and hosting service together with our forum website. However, I soon ran into a few technical problems:
1. security/privacy issues - as it turns out there is a lot of work that needs to keep the software and hardware used for email secure and updated. More work than I would physically be able to put in.
2. disk space - minimum 10MB per account, times the number of members, equals a very large disk, unfortunately...
3. absense of web sign-up option - the was no option of creating your own account (as in hotmail or yahoo).

Well I looked around and I found a third party company that agreed to host our email. They would take care of the servers and updates, give us 25MB disk space per account, they have self-sign up, and other things - very much like hotmail, except we'll be able to use our own domain name.
The email accounts would be free except there would be advertising shown through them.

Now, what do you think about all this? Which of the alternatives listed in the poll would you prefer personally?

P.S. In the last option, the part before v.gg could be changed to anything. Please make your suggestions.

Solange

I don't really see the need for a Latin Forum email service. I like the forum set-up as it is and there is the personal message option if necessary. But if an email service is considered appropriate, I certainly think the first option is by far the best.

Buckley

I, like Solange, don't really see much need for an email service here with the forums, but if its something that people want to go ahead with, I know that some sites offer 'email' addresses that just send mail on to a nominated address. Would that be easier than setting up an actual email service, even if it's hosted by a third party?

If it's going ahead the first option looks best to me.

Kaeso

Our Own email service

If madam princeps is prepared to set it up, I'd like a LatinForum.org email addy; and vote for the first option.

Regards,
Mark K.P.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Oh wow. I am glad I asked you guys, as it turns out your taste is very different from mine. I myself would have definitely preferred [email protected]

@vanitasappietatis: You should get a star for being the first one in my life to call me madam:)

Polla

I myself wouldn't mind using this email, if you do decide to set it up.
Still, I am wondering, wouldn't an email like [email protected] sound as if its owner is a staff member of LatinForum.org? Maybe for this reason alone you should consider using another domain, like Latin.v.gg, or eLatin.info, as Akela suggested.

Just my two cents :lol:

homo novus

special e-account - very good idea, Akela.
It seems that first option is the most interesting for us. ( i think it looks more professionally than the rest)

Greetings from Cetral Europe

K. Winshe

I'm new, so I probably don't have a good understanding of how it works around here, but I don't see the need for an email service.

kitak

I think I like the second one best.

LatinForum.org just looks so clumsy to me.

I like the idea of having email, even though the last thing I need is another email account to manage.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Like kitak, I worry about neglecting e-mail in another place. But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I'm here almost every day anyway-- how much trouble will it be to check the mail? And it could be very useful to have a place for Iynx's mail separate from that for my real-world identity.

Robert

I like the idea of an email service, peoples comments that it might be unnecessary may be true, but since its free theres no harm in having it as an optional use for those who want it is there? (except maybe some admins time, hope thats no great burden akela...?) . The first option- [email protected] seems by far the best to me. It most clearly states what it is.

aleena

Warm idea! I like the 2nd option.

Regards,
From tropical Philippines

Iniuria

I like the idea of an eMail system and thus add my vote to Option #1.

Thank you for inquirying.

Volatica Aquila

I am definately pro-latin forum email. I would use it like mad. I spend enough time on this website anyway so being able to check my email at the same time would be great!