may I ask if you guys could help me translate this sentence:

"The days are darkening before the storm, and great things are to come"

Thanks in advance!

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Versified translation (iambic senarii):

Caelum obscuratur antequam ventus furet:
graves res instant: hoc quis nostrum non videt?

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

for "and great things are to come" one could say : et magna eventa incident - literally "and great things (= events) shall occur"

edit: for "The days are darkening before the storm " once could say nubes atrae tempestatis praenuntii - dark clouds, the harbingers of storm

Last edited:

LupusLeo

for "and great things are to come" one could say : et magna eventa incident - literally "and great things (= events) shall occur"

edit: for "The days are darkening before the storm " once could say nubes atrae tempestatis praenuntii - dark clouds, the harbingers of storm
Got it. Thank you so much!

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Typo: not "furet", but "furat" (conjunct. prs.). I beg your pardon. :pray:

Caelum obscuratur antequam ventus furat:
graves res instant: hoc quis nostrum non videt?

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

et magnalia parantur?
why not. It all boils down to what exacly does "great things" mean (a task? a labour? an achievement or goal? an important event?).
magnalia (magnae res et admirabiles)] Ut aperte dicam, amici, hoc mihi verbum non probatur, nam apud optimos Latinitatis scriptores scriptum non videmus.
Scripsi "graves res" metri causa. Scribere poteram etiam "magnae res", "amplae res", "grandes res / res grandes"...

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Armatus virtute dei magnalia gessit" scripsit Tertullianus. Certe Cicero de magnalibus et de mirabiliis non scripsit. Ego, cum paucas quievi horas, puto melius vocabulum "gravia" est.

LupusLeo

Thank you so much for your help.
If the “great thing” here refer to hope, and the whole sentence want to express something like hope born from ashes or hardship. May I ask if it’s proper to translates as

nubes atrae tempestatis praenuntii
et magna eventa incident

as you suggested, or we could have any improvement?

Thanks!

Reference for this sentence:

“Arador was the grandfather of the King. His son Arathorn sought in marriage Gilraen the Fair, daughter of Dirhael, who was himself a descendant of Aranarth. To this marriage Dirhael was opposed; for Gilraen was young and had not leached the age at which the women of the Dunedain were accustomed to marry.

“Moreover,” he said, “Arathorn is a stern man of full age, and will be chieftain sooner than men looked for; yet my heart forebodes mat he will be shortlived.”

But Ivorwen, his wife, who was also foresighted, answered: "The more need of haste! The days are darkening before the storm, and great things are to come. If these two wed now, hope may be born for our people; but if they delay, it will not come while this age lasts.“

And it happened that when Arathorn and Gilraen had been married only one year, Arador was taken by hill-trolls in the Coldfells north of Rivendell and was slain; and Arathorn became Chieftain of the Dunedain. The next year Gilraen bore him a son, and he was called Aragorn. But Aragorn was only two years old when Arathorn went riding against the Orcs with the sons of Elrond, and he was slain by an orc-arrow that pierced his eye; and so he proved indeed shortlived for one of his race, being but sixty years old when befell.”

Last edited:

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

nubes atrae tempestatis praenuntii
et magna eventa incident

... or we could have any improvement ...
Grammatical improvement: In my opinion you should write 'praenuntiAE' (nubes, is fem.).
:)