We will either find a way or make one

Apaulo

1. "We will either find a way, or make one".
2. The phrase above, is needed for a military unit motto, and I want to make certain that translated property. It is a phrase attributed to Hannibal; when he was told it was impossible cross the Apls by elephant. The phrase uses "I", but I need it to be all inclusive, therefore I need "I" replaced with "We". I have seen versions using "shall" instead of "will" (the 2nd word in the phrase above), but I would prefer "will" if it is possible. If it does not translate with "will" then "shall" will be fine. I am more concerned with the correctness and the meaning.
3. What it means to me:
a. We (the unit) will find a way to complete our mission.
b. or make one "meaning that failure is not an option for us".
4. Masculine

Thank you so very much, in advance for your time and assistance. It is sincerely appreciated.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

Aut viam inveniemus aut faciemus.

There is no shall/will difference in Latin, there's only one future tense for both.

Edit: It doesn't sound as well as the original aut viam inveniam aut faciam, with the -iam assonance... But, well! ;)

Apaulo

Hi Pacis,

Thank you for your reply. Just as a matter of opinion, would you recommend staying with the original? I think I agree with you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, I do think it has a good sound to it, that the new version doesn't have. But on the other hand, the new version might express better what you want to express and be more "personal"... So I don't know. ;) Do as you feel.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You're welcome.

Oh, actually, there are two versions of the quote.

It is also sometimes written in this order: aut inveniam viam aut faciam (which would give us, for the "we" version aut inveniemus viam aut faciemus.)

I have no idea wheter one is more "authentic" than the other - and I don't know whether anyone knows... So you can also choose the order you prefer.

Numarius

My school's lacrosse team has the same motto, "aut viam inveniam aut faciam". They even have a niffty shirt with it.