You do recognize how great the danger is, do you not?

Ventus Liu

You do recognize how great the danger is, do you not?
The above sentence is a translation exercise in Wheelock's Latin, and the official answer is

"Nonne recognovisti quantum esse periculum?"

Yet I think that since this English sentence contains an indirect question, rather than an definite statement, it should be translated with a subordinate clause with its verb in subjunctive, which yields "Nonne recognovisti quantum sit periculum?"

Are these two versions equally acceptable or have I missed something?

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The latter sentence is correct. Indirect questions are not AcI; the verb doesn't become an infinitive. Wait for others to remark on this, however. I've noticed I've been making severe mistakes within the last few hours... :confused:

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Really? Care to elucidate?

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I may have spread the disease of ambiguity... :confused:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I confirm that the first answer is grammatically incorrect. Is it really a textbook that gives that?? Also, recognovisti is perfect, not present.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

The more recent editions of Wheelock's are utterly atrocious. From what I recall, at one point someone decided to add a bunch of exercises to the original Wheelock's Latin (the part actually written by Dr Wheelock), I guess in an attempt to make it more classroom friendly, but they apparently didn't know what the hell they were doing. So now there's a jumbled mess of grammatically questionable fake Latin mixed in with the original exercises (which, though also fake Latin, were at least grammatically sound). Unfortunate, really, because it's not a terrible textbook otherwise.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I confirm that the first answer is grammatically incorrect. Is it really a textbook that gives that?? Also, recognovisti is perfect, not present.
I think in some context it can be used in the perferct to mean present, like novi novisse. Not sure if this is the case, but I think so.